What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

second delay

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi Could anybody help with this one i was given it today and don't know anything about it,all i know its some sort of explosive device /delay switch?.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1040834.jpg
    P1040834.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 48
  • P1040835.jpg
    P1040835.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P1040836.jpg
    P1040836.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 44
Andy I think it is for an ejector seat/canopy.
Not really my thing - past or present, but usually once fired there`s some scorching - but like a trip flare the pin can sit against the primer in the `uncocked` position - so be wary!!
If you can get a NSN off it Google that as there are several sites that deal in these.

Thanks H it is a fired one and Inert the ejector seat sounds about right from where it was found and i can read the NSN number so will give it ago. NSN 1377-00-784-5212
Many thanks
Andy

Last edited:
Has anybody got any ideas how i could find what the NSN number stands for NSN 1377-00-784-5212 as i have tried to google it but have come up with nothing.
Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy
Glevum is correct 00 is USA manufacture ID. (99 is UK).
I googled it & got this http://www.alicorp.com/007845212.nsn
This means it is a controlled component (which with a lot of american stuff for mil use - even a screw- can come up).
Since 9/11 the Americans put a lot of restrictions on parts that are/can be used on `military platforms` ie - planes & vehicles - even if those end users are in civilian use.
Makes my job a pain at times when it comes to getting stuff as I end up with loads of US Gov `end user` paperwork to clear!!
Interesting find all the same & not bad condition. Any history you know off. Usually most seat/aircraft parts are rotable so unless it has been used in `anger` surprised to see it.

Hi H, thanks again its what i was getting when i googled it, it was found on orford island a few years ago and was given to me yesterday, i don't collect this sort of thing so will be up for swaps later.
Thanks
Andy

Hi H, yes it’s a fascinating place and like you say alot went on there and its just a few miles away too, i know theres two air base's near by so it could have come from ether i suppose.
Cheers
Andy

Locations on Orford Ness range were used by both US and UK units to dispose of Service Life/Shelf Life expired items, and egress explosive items (CAD/PADs) have relatively short "lifetimes" and would definitely have been in shots at Orford. During my experience there from '78 to '81, we took items from nearly all of the "US force accomodations" (e.g. RAFs Lakenheath, Bentwaters, Upper Heyford, Welford, etc.) to Orford for demolition.

Cheers for that Taber - certainly clears that issue.
I don`t recall us sending any of our stuff to Orford `78-92 - place was tighter than a ducks, Lulworth etc were our `land unfill` sites!!
I was at Fairford on `standby` when/for the Tehran raid as part of the Brit JIC (Just In Case) team!! Great All Ranks Club & Pizza parlour as I recall.

Hi Andy
Glevum is correct 00 is USA manufacture ID. (99 is UK).

Glevum, Hicky, sorry it is not, it is the code of the country that was first to adopt this ammunition (or here CAD) item. Have seen ammo being made in Germany (also designed there) for the US and it had the "00" on. So even if exported to other NATO countries or even if adopted by the German forces it will remain "00". If it will be made under licence in let's say China for Italy it will also be "00" (if Italy demands proper marking).

EOD is correct, the country code is the first country to assign an NSN to an item, it is not necessarily the country of manufacture, but often is.

Many thanks guys for all your help but still can't find anything out about it,
the label says
second delay initiator, xm64
P/N10522498
NSN 1377-00-784-5211
LOT No 1-CHI-1177
EXPLOSIVE DEVICE

Many thanks
Andy