What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sectioned, 1941 dated, .303 round and a Hispano round

Edwardc

Ok, decided to have a practise at some sectioning before tackling a more expensive item like a gren of a fuse. so far have done a hispano round and a .303 which were both fiddly as hell.

The hispano
DSC_0620.jpg

I cut this with a hacksaw and used a file to flatten the edges down, it needs wet and drying to smooth it completely now.

The .303
DSC_2036.jpg

I cut this with a dremel and mini cutting disc then used a small file to smooth it a bit, it to needs some wet and dry to make smoother still but this one came out better.

I feel im ready to do a gren now, and have a no5 begging to be cut, i think the combo of hacksaw, dremel and files will work well. along with patience and a decent vice/work bench. I think i will wet and dry the gren, and 2 rounds all at the same time.

comments/constructive criticism welcome

Ed

Hi Ed
Cutaways not really my thing but look good for 1st attempt.
I like the Hispano & should look good after a clean up, pity there`s none of the fuze internals.
The .303 I would have completely halved the bullet then soldered or super glued it into the case. Also I cannot see the flash hole from the primer to main charge?
Good effort all the same & as they say practise makes perfect.
If you want any other small arms rounds to do PM me as we can sort something. I also have some poor conditionWWII German 20mm projectiles that may benefit from this?

Hi Ed
Cutaways not really my thing but look good for 1st attempt.
I like the Hispano & should look good after a clean up, pity there`s none of the fuze internals.
The .303 I would have completely halved the bullet then soldered or super glued it into the case. Also I cannot see the flash hole from the primer to main charge?
Good effort all the same & as they say practise makes perfect.
If you want any other small arms rounds to do PM me as we can sort something. I also have some poor conditionWWII German 20mm projectiles that may benefit from this?

yeah the flash hole got obliterated accidentally during the cut, if i did a .303 again i would cut it again off centre not directly on the centre line!

cheers for your comments though, thats helpful

I don't really go for sectioned bits, but as already mentioned, if you have a poor condition piece, then this would completely revamp it. I must say, I prefer the Hispano. Looks like a great job you did there.

I don't really go for sectioned bits, but as already mentioned, if you have a poor condition piece, then this would completely revamp it. I must say, I prefer the Hispano. Looks like a great job you did there.

yeah sop do i, the .303 was more an exercise in dexterity, im not in a rush to do another!!