What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sectioned 37mm WW1 pom pom round info

BMG50

Premium Member
I have section a German 37mm WW1 round but would like to know if the propellant is black powder or smokeless, either in large grains for the powder or cordite sticks for smokeless. What would the projectile have as a filling, black powder? Or something else. Any pictures of sectioned 37mm WW1 rounds would greatly assist.

Need to see a picture of your round. Propellent would be smokeless, but there might be several kinds.

Its just a plain 37mm Sockelflak round. I will post a picture later. I the propellant is smokeless would this be grainilure or spaghetti lengths, cordite sticks.

Last edited:
Taken from a sockelflack . 52mm x 10mm paper thin.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 52
KINDLE_CAMERA_1428074705000.jpgfind attached my sectioned sockelflak round ready to add filling. If the projectile was filled with corse grain gunpowder I was going to used carbon granules from a mask filter and resin in place. How was the paper like smokeless strips situated in place, jam packed or just a bunch of a certain amount. Was there a top card or cloth disc on top of the propellant.

Hi BMG50,
The Sockelflak round was a tracer, so the cavity in the projectile was filled with a mixture of Barium Nitrate, Magnesium and Shellac, the brass center in the base plug contained a black powder charge to ignite the tracer compound.
Best regards Weasel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, so not really an explosive round but a projectile filled with a tracer compound that would burn to the target to pop a zepplin, would you know what colour this compound would be and if it would be a pressed filling, fine granule filling or coarse etc.

Thanks for that Gordon, I have never seen a picture of a filled one. You rarely get them with the base plug and brass insert.
Best regards Weasel.

Thanks guys for your help, I now have an idea how this round should look like sectioned. If a sectioned drawing or picture is available that would be great to finish it off more accurately.

Last edited: