What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sectioned Mills grenade

SG500

Premium Member
The attached is a sectioned Mills.
The representation of the explosive was done by mixing builders sand with paint.
Dave.

Attachments

• 29th April 2010 043.jpg
    29th April 2010 043.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 29th April 2010 044.jpg
    29th April 2010 044.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 105
Thats a nice section Dave, not seen the post before as i would have made comment. Did you do it?. Very well done if you did.

Just one comment, when the grens were filled, the explosive didnt fill the entire gren cavity. Had they done so, on detonating, the body would have turned to dust due to the charge being too powerful. I have a 1971 1/4 sectioned Mills with a resin filling that looks similarly filled, minus the sand.

Andy

Yes I agree with Andy.The cavity was about 2/3 full. Good workmanship there.

John

Hi Dave... Great work! I'd like to try something similar on a sectioned No.5 that I have.

Hope you don't mind a couple of questions...
- How much sand did you add to the paint? Do you have a ration of paint to sand that you could share?
- What type of paint did you use for the filler?
- Lastly, how long did it take for the filler (paint/sand mixture) take to fully dry.

Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Brad

The attached is a sectioned Mills.
The representation of the explosive was done by mixing builders sand with paint.
Dave.

Thanks guys, I didn't do this one, its in a friends collection.
The filler in the grenade is a plaster type filler. The surface was painted with varnish and the fine builders sand (the sort you can buy for sand pits for the kids) was gently sprinkled onto the wet glue then allowed to dry. Any excess was then tapped off. The final coats of varnish were applied by drizzling it onto the surface and letting the varnish find its own level, that's how the junction between the varnish and grenade wall is so neat. I'D SUGGEST YOU EXPERIMENT WITH THIS FIRST. I did something very similar myself when I sectioned an SD2 butterfly bomb, it didn't turn out quite as neat as this but I was pleased with the reslt.
Dave.

Beautiful section Dave, definately one of the better sectioned Mills i've seen. Sections are not really my thing but whe I see a nice one I take notice. That was a labor of love by someone...Dano