What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sectioned Mills No5 restoration

paul the grenade

Hi All.
Heres a sectioned centre cast mills No5 thats been sat on my shelf for ages waiting to be restored.
I finally got round to doing it last week so heres a few pics showing how i did it.
It had a small bit missing from the top left of the cut out so first thing i pressed some modeling clay inside the top back to make a mould of the inside shape then removed it and turned it round and put it back in. this gave me something to build the filler up on to.
Next i mixed up a dollop of car body filler and filled in the missing section making sure it was well above the level of the existing frags. once it was dry i removed the modeling clay and procceeded to slowly carve the frags back into the filler and then tidied them up with a fine file and emery paper. I had to add a few more fine layers of filler till i got the desired shape.
Next i painted the filler a dark brown to match the body colour and when i was happy with it i gave the whole gren a coating of shellac. I was missing the centre piece so i thought one of Dugups repros would be just the job. I ordered one of the brass ones and when it arrived i fitted it to the body then marked where i would cut it out. I removed it and sectioned it with a dremel rotary cutter and finished the edges with a fine file. All that was left to do was paint the coloured bands and reassemble it. and finally to finish it off i placed it inside an original sectioned mills box made by E A Radnall. the base plug is also marked E A Radnall & Co which finishes of the grenade perfectly.
Hope you like the pics.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• mills restoration 8.jpg
    mills restoration 8.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 93
  • mills restoration 2.jpg
    mills restoration 2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 81
  • mills restoration 3.jpg
    mills restoration 3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 88
  • mills restoration 5.jpg
    mills restoration 5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 86
  • mills restoration 9.jpg
    mills restoration 9.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 108
  • mills restoration 7.jpg
    mills restoration 7.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 85
  • mills restoration 6.jpg
    mills restoration 6.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 83
  • mills restoration 10.jpg
    mills restoration 10.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 94
  • mills restoration 4.jpg
    mills restoration 4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 84
  • mills restoration 1.jpg
    mills restoration 1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 92
Hi .very nice job there.looks great.have you ever tried miliput two part apoxy putty .its really good for repairs and restoration jobs.regards Darrol.

It takes about 2hours to be totaly dry but can be speeded up with a little heat .very usefull stuff.most model shops sell it.look on www.milliput.com for info.regards Darrol

Very nice end product. Thanks for sharing and providing the step by step photos.

Hi Paul,
What a fantastic job and great walk through of what you had to do to get it to it's finished state, i am sure we all have bits put aside on our shelves for sectioning in the future i know i have and this has given me the drive i needed to go ahead and get on with it. Many thanks for the write up and pictures, best regards Weasel.

Very nice job done there Paul,
Well done.

You dont have a spare box do you????

Andy