What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seen on ebay right now !

Gspragge

Premium Member
It's identified as German ? new to me-

Attachments

• gas-gran.jpg
    gas-gran.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 102
  • gas-gran2 Kopie.jpg
    gas-gran2 Kopie.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 30
It is

similar to those other Trench Mortars that have been discussed lately, but the traverse system on this is very German. I think they sort of stole this design.

Heres a pic of a similar one from the book " Weapons of the trench war 1914 - 1918"

Attachments

• trench mortar.jpg
    trench mortar.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 26
Interesting comment

Looks like the writer of the book never saw the real photo image-
but in 1915 everything was used that came to hand, even if only briefly or experimental. There is one good image of a German Revolving Gun in a static covered position with canister, so clear the seams in the canisters can be seen, later these were used for AA.

Look at what I found:

THE GERMAN TRENCH-MORTAR JUST INTRODUCED TO THE BRITISH: A WEAPON WHICH THROWS A 187-LB. MINE-SHELL.
"In this quarter," says Eye-Witness of the fighting near Ypres on October 29, "we experienced ... the action of the 'minenwerfer,' or trench-mortar. This piece, though light enough to be wheeled by two men, throws a shell weighing 187 lbs. The spherical shell has a loose stem which is loaded into the bore and drops out in flight. It ranges about 350 yards at 45 deg. elevation. The shell is a thin-walled mine-shell containing a large charge and is intended to act with explosive effect, not splinter-effect." The diagram on the left shows one of the shells and its stem in their most up-to-date form; in the centre is the trench-mortar (its wheels off) with a shell in place; below this are three shells without their stems; on the right is a shell and its stem.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18333/18333-h/18333-h.htm

Attachments

• wn15-38.jpg
    wn15-38.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: