What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self sectioned butterfly

SG500

Premium Member
Mmmm......this ones giving me ideas :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Perhaps a naturally sectioned 67 fuze and some blown up wings for that authentic look.

Watch this space.

Dave.

IMG_4362.jpgIMG_4365.jpg

I like the look of this one Dave.........as you have said ready sectioned!! If only these items could speak, I wonder what its story was?
I see it has remains of the fuze in the top, do you know what type of fuze it was?

regards Kev

I like the look of this one Dave.........as you have said ready sectioned!! If only these items could speak, I wonder what its story was?
I see it has remains of the fuze in the top, do you know what type of fuze it was?

regards Kev

Thanks Kev. The top of the fuze is corroded so there are no makings there. When I get it out I'll send a photo of the underneath so it'll be easy enough to work out what type then.
Dave.

Nice that Dave,was it at stoneleigh yesterday as i had a look at a similar one?
I reckon it was a standard 41A as its a training charge and has a bayonet fuze.
best

waffy

best

waffy

Hi waff,
I think you could be right, though I do remember a number of years ago a friend of mine picked up some relic bodies with the hole in the bottom and one of them had a relic type 70 fuze in it. It was a relic and the fuze head was very poor but definately a type 70. Its the only time I have ever seen this fuze in such a body but it does without doubt prove that other fuzes were used in these as well.

I am sure the base will reveal all. Like you I suspect a type 41, but you never know??
regards Kev

best

waffy

Thanks, yes it on a stall with a number of other split SD 2 bodies.
I liked it because of the potential and it was cheap.
Dave.

I got the old fuze fragment out...........by dissolving it, looks like the top of a 41 fuze.
Now cleaning and cutting will start on a relic 67 fuze.
Dave.

IMG_4391.jpgIMG_4390.jpgIMG_4389.jpgIMG_4399.jpgIMG_4400.jpg

Yes thats a very much corroded type 41A Dave, thanks for showing.

Good luck with the sectioning of the 67 and ongoing project, cant wait to see the finished results.

regards Kev

Yes, I look forward to the sectioning Butterfly too.

I can see this is going to look quite something when all pieced together, have fun Dave.

I will just add on your behalf that the type 67 fuze you are in the process of cutting is totally inert.

Cutting any sort of ordnance is not something to be undertaken by anyone who doesnt know what they are dealing with!!!

all the best Kev

Thanks guys, the question is what do I do now?
I could clean off the surface rust and varnish it with mat varnish, do the same with the fuze once cleaned OR go all the way, partly fill the inside with HE substitute (with the fuze poking out of it), paint the outside, paint the broken edges in red etc.
Thoughts?
Dave.

my initial thoughts would be to matt varnish it, together with the relic wings you have already shown I think it would make a very interesting piece......trying to paint it may ruin the effect that is unique to this piece and possibly take something away from it.

I think before you do anything you ought to add the wings and live with it for a few days, you will either enjoy it as it is, or change your mind and paint it...........whatever the desicion comes down to personal preference.

regards Kev

Thanks Kev, I'll try that. At least with this sort of stuff if I paint it and don't like it I can always strip the paint off again.

Dave.

Hi waff,
I think you could be right, though I do remember a number of years ago a friend of mine picked up some relic bodies with the hole in the bottom and one of them had a relic type 70 fuze in it. It was a relic and the fuze head was very poor but definately a type 70. Its the only time I have ever seen this fuze in such a body but it does without doubt prove that other fuzes were used in these as well.

I am sure the base will reveal all. Like you I suspect a type 41, but you never know??
regards Kev

Now you mention it Kev,i acquired a trainer at Beltring 4 years ago and it indeedy had a 70B with it.

best

waffy