What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG500 (not the person!!) Jagerfaust

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a 'Sondergert 500 Jgerfaust' (also often referred to as Jagdfaust, which could be correct too). It was a radical weapon, firing heavy 50 mm projectiles vertically up into the lower sides of bombers. The system was triggered by an optical system, and the pilot's only task was passing underneath the bomber. The Jgerfaust was tested on the Fw 190, destined for installation in the Me 163B and the Me 262B. The installation in the Me 262B apparently did not work successfully, and it was not used operationally. Trials with the Komet showed very promising results and it is reported that some six operational aircraft were modified.
-Start quote-
A combination of reports in books by Mano Ziegler, Jeffrey Ethell and Stephen Ransom revealed another hugely interesting aspect of "White 05". After arriving at Brandis, one of EK16's few remaining tasks was weapons development and testing. The very high speed of the Komet made conventional canon attacks difficult and ineffective, and alternative weapons were needed. R4M rockets had been tested on an Me 163A at Udetfeld successfully, but another idea had popped up. Armaments engineer Dr. Langweiler had come up with the idea of firing heavy shells verticaly into the lower sides of bombers, the system being triggered by the bomber's shadow passing over an optical sensor. The pilot only had to pass underneath a bomber and the system would do the rest. Dr. Langeweiler had come to Brandis and together with EK16's armaments test pilot Lt. August Hachtel he went to work. The system was named 'Sondergert (Special Device) 500 Jagdfaust', also referred to as 'Jgerfaust'.
A trial installation was built into a Fw 190, with a barrel in each wing. Lt Hachtel flew the Fw 190 at low altitude under a 2 meter wide fabric banner held by balloons. The banner showed 2 holes in this first test! Two tubes were added, and the second and third test run resulted in 3 and 4 holes respectively. More tubes were added up to a total of eight, resulting in 7 holes. The only problem was the cracking of the canopy due to the blast of the firing tubes.
Installation in a Komet was next, and this happened to be 'White 05'. It was fitted with 5 vertical tubes in each wing root. The problem of the canopy cracking was solved by putting an electronic delay in the firing of the tubes. In the mean time the balloons had been forbidden, and the banner was held by two poles, at an even lower altitude then the balloon-held banner. The first 'live' firing took place on 24 December 1944, with all 10 barrels loaded. But disaster struck when "White 05" was diving for a pass underneath the banner. A dark cloud caused the system to fire prematurely, but worse, all 10 tubes fired simultaneously because the delay had not been installed. The canopy was blasted off, and the Komet pitched violently. Half blinded, Hachtel still managed a hard crash landing; he was found besides the aircraft, unconsious and with a damaged spine. "White 05" was damaged considerably, and ended up on the scrap heap. I think that a life span of almost a year still isn't bad for an aircraft as volatile as the Me 163B
-End quote-
One bomber was shot down with it by Fritz Kelb. This happened on 10 April 1945, the last day that Komets operated from Brandis. The victim has been reported as a Lancaster in Ransom's book, and as a B-17 in others, but only recently new evidence came to light via Stephen M. Fochuk from Canada. He reports:
On the 10th of April 1945 a rather large formation of No.6 (RCAF) Group Lancasters and Halifaxes carried out a day light raid on the railway centre and marshalling yards at Leipzig. Other than moderate flak being reported the only enemy opposition was in the form of 1 to 3 Me 163s. Several air gunners fired at the rocket interceptor(s) but no hits were confirmed. According to one witness a Me 163 destroyed a Halifax, which "blew up right in front of me".
This description agrees with the destructive power of a Jgerfaust armed Komet, and it is a almost sure match. So it was a Halifax instead of a Lancaster or a B-17.
Technical description

• The Jgerfaust is a recoilless weapon. It ejects its barrel downwards to compensate for the upwards firing shell. The system consists of a thin-walled slightly conical launching tube build into the wing, a riffled barrel, a projectile and a propelling charge. The barrel is lightly conical too on the outside, enabeling the barrel to be press fitted into the launching tube in the wing root. Three strips are welded on the outside of the barrel at 120 degr each which fit into three slots in the launching tube. This to prevent the barrel from rotating counterwise to the shells rifling on firing. Two dowel pins are placed below the base of the barrel in the launching tube that break when the downward force is high enough. When the charge is electrically ignited, causing the projectile to move upward, the barrel forced downward- breaks the dowel pins, is forced out of the conical lock up, moving downward. The riffling of the barrel makes the shell start to spin which results in greater stability in flight.
  • The installation in the Komet consisted of 10 tubes, but exact data is lacking. The installation shown in the drawing is an approximation .
  • The projectile is of The M-type, the projectile weight is 1 kilogram, consisting of 610 grams steel casing and 390 grams explosive. The powdercharge exists of is 51,3 grams of Nz Rp. (Nitro cellulose Rifle powder), resulting in a muzzle velocity of 400 m/s
  • The Jgerfaust was manufactured by 'Hasag' in Leipzig

Attachments

• P-50mm jagerfaust -ger-01-sec.JPG
    P-50mm jagerfaust -ger-01-sec.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 180
  • P-50mm jagerfaust -Ger-02-sec.jpg
    P-50mm jagerfaust -Ger-02-sec.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 153
  • P-50mm jagerfaust Type2 -Ger-02-sec.JPG
    P-50mm jagerfaust Type2 -Ger-02-sec.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 136
  • P-50mm jagerfaust Type2 -Ger-03.JPG
    P-50mm jagerfaust Type2 -Ger-03.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Jgerfaust detail.JPG
    Jgerfaust detail.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Fuzing of Jgerfaust projectiles.jpg
    Fuzing of Jgerfaust projectiles.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 2 different types of jagerfaust.JPG
    2 different types of jagerfaust.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 140
  • drawing Jgerfaust.gif
    drawing Jgerfaust.gif
    53.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Dwg.  Jgerfaust projectiles.gif
    Dwg. Jgerfaust projectiles.gif
    37.9 KB · Views: 122
  • drawing fuzes.gif
    drawing fuzes.gif
    47.5 KB · Views: 139
Such fantastic work DJH and excellent information also. There can be no doubt that you are a master craftsman at this type of thing. Even though it does result in a sharp intake of breath at some of the rarer items :tinysmile_grin_t:.

I would imagine that the parts for this weapon are hard to find. Are the barrel tubes original and do they fall to the ground after firing?

Thanks
PC

Hi, the fact if something is rare or not does not influence my descision to cut it or not. Technically interesting does, and I really like to make this visable.
In fact the tube is no weapon, the rack in which it is placed is the weapon. In this case we'd better speak about a rifled shellcase, as it is only intended to be used once and is than ejected. The principal of this weapon was thought out by Dr Langweiler weapons laboratory, the same guy that invented the panzerfaust.
Below a picture of the way it was intended to be used, although opinions are still devided about slight forward angular firing either straight vertical.
The rifled shellcases are originals. As can be seen, one has a longer rifling than the other. It is not known if this is a production mistake either another test type with a bigger charge.
Regards DJH

Attachments

• jagerfaust in Me163 komet.jpg
    jagerfaust in Me163 komet.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Superb !!!!

Once again another fantastic cutaway. The information you post shows the length of research you go to before even considering the cut. I am always amazed and impressed by your cut-aways, in my opinion you are the true master of these. You inspired me to cut a SD2, something I would otherwise have never considered and I enjoy it everytime I look at it.
Personally I think with your experience, nothing is too 'rare' an object for you to cut. The items are brought alive both by the sympathetic cuts you make and the text explaining the operation. I have read about this particular weapon and have seen line drawings but to see a cutaway is amazing.

Long may you keep up your fantastic work, DJH

regards
Kev

Thanks Kev, thanks. I've still got some intetesting posts comming, but lack of time -i've got a daytime job (a good one thank god)- prevents me from cutting, descibing and posting more.
Exept for that, the best way of registrating the ammo (compulsary by law and insurance) is changing it into a posting with pictures and a full description...... would be a waste than not to publish.
Regards DJH

Last edited:
Sg500

Just amazing.
No idea when it comes to German items but this was really great!
Fantastic post, fantastic job on the cutaway.

All the best
T42

I was told that cut items were exempt from the law in Holland.

I know your laws are very strict, aren't even fired cases illegal to own without permits?

Hi, the fact if something is rare or not does not influence my descision to cut it or not. Technically interesting does, and I really like to make this visable.

My point was not meant to criticize it was just my own personal opinion so please do not be offended Derk. The other thing is I love to see your work as it helps to explain all the technical stuff.

It would be the same if someone wanted to do a section of King Tutankhamen. Some people would be for it others against.

PC

I think I must have been sleeping when you put this on the forum DJH.
Nice work!!
Is there any history on these rounds and the rifled cases, I've come across a few of them over the years and all seem to be in similar condition. Are they all from a crash site or one of the experimental test ranges. Its always nice to have a bit of history with the rounds.
Dave.

Not yet. But this week there will be a collegue from my work who will take a look. He is an electrician.

Well done as usual pzgr40. I immensly enjoy your posts as they always hold my interest whether or not in my main area of ordnance. Bravo and "keep 'em coming".......Dano