What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaped charge

proditto

Off road mines and belly attack mines can use a form of shaped charge. The plate charge or MisznaySchardin charge named after two of the developers. This shaped charge forms a projectile which can be effective at up to 100m. Makes an ideal off road mine. The penetration is not as good as a a cone charge.This is a nice exhibit manufactured from computer simulation. It shows the progression of the formation of the slug.

Attachments

• Self Forging frag.jpg
    Self Forging frag.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 250
WOW............now that's really really nice...........where do I get one of those from?? What a fantastic exhibit that shows what goes on in a zillionth of a second.
Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Thanks Dave.
Unfortunately the company was government owned and would not make me one!! Liner material for some of the cones or plates is also interesting. Copper is the most popular but evidently gold and silver are very good! I like shaped charge only second to APDS.This is 105mm across fins and 110mm across part of body. Can you ID please?

Attachments

• Shaped Charge.jpg
    Shaped Charge.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 124
there is also DU use for liners in some russian 125mm HEAT-FS models produced after 3BK-29 model

found it for 125mm smooth bore cannon HEAT-FS used on T72 and later tanks:
3BK-14 uses steel liner, while 3BK-21B uses depleted uranium liner.

I lost a SF friend out in Iraq back in 2005 when his vehicle had been hit with a vertical mine using the Miznay-Shardin effect and built in Iran! Bastards! Pardon my language but I cannot stand them.

Proditto,

Shaped charge liners are most prevalent in copper for HEAT projectiles, but depleted uranium has been used to increase penetration as has been mentioned. Gold, silver, and aluminum are typically used for aerospace applications as in linear shaped charges for separating missile stages, etc., most likely because they are resistant to corrosion by rocket fuels, etc. I have also seen linear shaped charges in lead.

The more dense the material the better. The US tested DU a long time ago, the results were good. With the concerns over repeated DU use, however, there were only a couple of ranges where DU could be used in this manner, not suitable. We went to tantalum instead for systems like the TOW-2B.

I would argue the point that EFPs are not as good as shaped charges, they are just as good in their own way. They are a different tool to be used when suitable, delivered in a slightly different fashion.

Charge with conical liner.

Some details of the power of shaped charges and how they function.

Detonation of the booster within the main charge starts an explosive wave which causes the metal cone to collapse - the forces are such that the strength of the material (copper, steel, DU, whatever) is negligible, and the metal behaves as a fluid. The cone separates into two parts: the outer surface, adjacent to the explosive charge, collapses into a relatively slow moving slug travelling at 500-1000 m/s; the inner surface forms a jet travelling along the main axis of the cone at very high velocity, 2,000-10,000 m/s*. It is the jet that penetrates the target.

There are two main phases in the penetration: first the jet formation, the efficacy of which is dependent on having an optimum stand off distance between the target material and the cone; and second the forcing aside of the target material by the very high pressures of the high speed jet in excess of 250,000 atmospheres*. With these pressures the target material becomes almost irrelevant hardened steel armour is no better than mild steel. The penetration of the target can be viewed akin to how a water stream washes mud out of a mud bank, although not a perfect analogy as the metal jet not does erode metal out of the target, except for a very small amount at the front surface. The hole is caused by radial plastic flow of the target material.

If the shaped charge fires too close to or too distant from a target surface, the jet velocity at impact is much reduced from its maximum. Maximum velocity, and thereby penetrative effect, is achieved by standing the charge off the target a certain distance this is clearly seen in the cavity in front of the conical liner in sectioned munitions.

The jet hole is typically of small diameter, around 5-6mm, although holes bigger than this are found due to directional wobble of the jet. The slug following the jet often hits the target off-axis from the penetration and splatters fairly harmlessly against the armour. Obviously the jet is far from harmless for the crew within the target.

Ultimately the power of the jet falls off and it collapses. Use of higher density materials such as tungsten and DU allow greater penetration compared with copper or steel, by maintaining the energy of the jet for longer.

EFP, as a derivation of the shaped charge effect, uses the slug rather than jet for attacking armour. One reason for the initial development of EFP (as in SADARM) was top-attack of armoured vehicles, where armour plating is much thinner than on the front and sides. It also lent itself to off road anti-vehicle mines, as noted at the beginning of this thread. The principle of EFP is shown in the following:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqO15oyWueE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqO15oyWueE[/ame]

* Source: Journal of Applied Physics, Volume 19, June 1948. Jet velocities and pressures in current munitions are even higher than when calculated and measured in this pioneering work.

Shaped charges

Snufkin-Great summery from the basic source. The video show Sidney Alford at work He has designed a number of such devices and likes to demonstrate them. Always great show!
US Subs-I did not mean a plate charge was in any way inferior to a cone charge. As you say they are different. The cone requires a reasonably short and accurate stand off. The plate charge will project to considerable distances.
The precision cones such as those for TOW are first pressed out (or sintered in some materials) and then precision machined inside and out.
Two other influences are the rotation of the warhead(no rotation is best as with missiles, although plate charges are less effected and in rifled guns slipping band or even ball bearings are used to slow spin) and the fuzing (keeping parts out of the jet).
Some base line figures from Oerlikon, In diameters of the warhead. Stand-off Cone 1-6 Plate 1-1000-Maximum effective distance Cone 50 Plate 1000. Penetration Cone 3-9 Plate 1. These are one extremes to the other. Some pictures of cones.

Attachments

• Cones Base.jpg
    Cones Base.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Cones top.jpg
    Cones top.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 34
I've always enjoyed the shaped charge stuff, I've got a fair collection of cones that I've dealt with over the years, I especially enjoy it when I can find the post-detonation "slug" to match with the cones.

You mentioned the lack of spin, someplace around here I think I still have a US 152mm fluted cone, but I don't remember where, so will have to make do with a 40mm. This was an attempt to vary the thickness of the cone at different points, to compensate for the projectile's spin. I recall seeing these on the 152mm, the 40mm and the 30mm.

Here are a few of my cones and slugs that are out in the open for easy photos. In the third picture starting on the left is the tantalum EFP slug from the TOW-2B missile, followed by a 155mm Copperhead slug, a 3.5-inch rocket slug, a 66mm LAW rocket slug, a MK118 Rockeye submunition slug and an M77 (M42) submunition slug with an original cone.

In the final picture are some more cones, the glass one is from an engineer shaped charge for punching holes in roads and such, followed by a Copperhead cone and in the very back is a cone for the Maverick missile, which at one time carried an 85lb shaped charge - not sure about now.

Attachments

• DSCN1388.jpg
    DSCN1388.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1387.jpg
    DSCN1387.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1386.jpg
    DSCN1386.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1385.jpg
    DSCN1385.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 70
DU stopped being used in US ordnance after a study found that a tungsten projectile, or gold/ tantalum liner would work just as well, be less difficult to make, and, even cheaper.
Testing conducted against armored vehicles with animals in them proved the DU behind-armor effect was not required. I believe the study was called "why burn a corpse?" or something like that.
I've found the dome shaped bottom on a common soda can, with a bit of standoff, can get thru the walls of heavy projectiles. Angles of aluminum of various lengths from window frames make great linear shaped charges.
Ahh the fun there is to have in the desert!!

Intresting thread!
Again out of my field of collecting, but would I be correct in thinking this technique was developed during ww2? I know the british 68 Anti-tank grenade used a shaped charge, is there anything pre-dating this?

regards
Kev

Electric armour

A novel method for defeating shaped charge warheads is the use of so called "electric armour".

If you search "electric armour" on you tube, there's a video showing some trials work involving this technology.

Pic 1 below is a flash x ray picture of the molten metal jet from a HEAT round as it's formed. The tip of this jet is travelling in excess of 10km/second

Pic 2 shows the effect of electric armour on the jet. The tip of the jet can be seen on the left of the picture entering the armour, the copper jet completes the circuit between the 2 layers of the electric armour and the result is that on the right of the picture the jet emerges broken up and unable to penetrate the armoured vehicle itself.

Shaped charge x ray.jpg

Electric armour.jpg

I think the award for the most creative off-route attack mine has to go to the US Marines-
A 40lb shaped charge sitting behind a 55gallon drum of fuel.
The shape charge fires through the fuel, igniting it, then it goes through the side of the tank, and the fuel splatters all over the side (and even thru the hole made by the jet) of the tank.

Shapede charges also make great clearing charges. A 40lb charge will clear everything but trees thicker than 3 or 4 inches for a good 100'+. Add the fuel to it like above, and the fireball will get rid of surface-laid mines.

I worked with a guy that had been a Navy SEAL in Vietnam. He said they boobytrapped an escape route in the jungle by putting a 40LB. cratering charge behind a roll of concertina wire. He said the shrapnel from the wire removed all the vegetation from the valley.

Cool!
That is the first time I've heard of someone actually using that technique.
It's not taught anymore. The closest use is in a Combat Engineers field data guide- it shows placing a block or two of C-4 in the center of a concertina roll, and using it as an improvised claymore.
A few of the old "spec-ops demo" manuals teach the same thing, only, like your friend tried, using a 40lb shaped charge a few feet behind the roll of wire. (Did your friend ever get to hide a bangalore torpedo in a stand of bamboo as an APERS mine?)

A great "urban" tactic is the use of the 40lb charge set a few feet away from an outer wall of a building, pointing thru the buildings' long axis:
"building is clear"
(Iraqi triggerman, however had to be picked up with a sponge)
I remember being told "don't share that bit of info with the Colonel" when I told my 1st sgt that I learned that little trick by reading about the German WW2 raid on Eben Emael!

Last edited:
So, what's the short version of the story of the German raid on Eben Emael?