What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shell, Large, Collecting, for the use of

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
The world is not enough, unless...

BigShellcomp.jpg

Found in a colleagues collection.

Ahhh, Dora ammo....I saw at least a Dora case years ago at Aberdeen....the gun must have been unbelievable...just a mere 800mm gun!

Norman . Are you sure that's not 57mm howitzer round with 2 soldiers from Lilliput ? Mike............!!!!!!!

Hazord,
Isn't there one of these guns at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. I know they have a shell. Was Anzio Annie this big?
John

John,

Aberdeen has (had? not sure if it is still there...) a K5 railway gun, which is just measly 280mm gun....I know I remember seeing a 80cm case at Aberdeen, but I forget if they had a projectile too...

The K5 (Anzio Annie) was pretty impressive....the Dora Gerat dwarfed them!

Yes it had a tracer, the projectile we have at the Liberty Park in Holland has a tracerunit, Ben

Hazord,
Isn't there one of these guns at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. I know they have a shell. Was Anzio Annie this big?
John

John, Anzio Annie, aka Leopold, was shipped in several loads to Ft. Lee about a year and a half ago. I THINK there is still a Dora shell at Aberdeen, but I haven't been there in over a year, and things there were fluid. Cheers, Bruce.

Okay, I wonder what the connection to Ft. Lee?
John

John, that's where they moved the Ordnance School and Command. When they closed Monmouth, Communications was BRAC'd to Aberdeen and Ordnance to Lee, along with the Ordnance Museum. The Museum at Aberdeen is now (or will be) the Communications Museum with a bunch of tanks and artillery pieces parked around it. Confusing, but there ya have it. Cheers, Bruce.

It seems like I heard somewhere that the Dora case was displayed outdoors, and due to acid rain, etc. and it being steel, that it was a rustball years ago.