What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shinkle post WW II patent

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
I'm doing a bit of research and came across this patent application from Edward M. Shinkle (yes, of the WW I era grenade). Has anyone ever seen this grenade before?

Attachments

• EM Shinkle Grenade 1946.pdf
    163.9 KB · Views: 101
try using SEARCH feature above.. there are a few photos on here.. not sure about the info though.

And those photos, some of them being mine, are of the post WW I (1918) patent grenade. The file I posted at the start of this thread is referring to the post WW II (1946) patent grenade.

Mike, there was a gentleman down south working some years ago on a book on US grenades, he had done much more work on the subject than anyone else I've seen, you might check with him. I know at least one of the folks posting on this site spent a week with him and several others doing research in the Archives on anything they could find.

heres an interesting patent i came across.
it is virtually the same grenade as the 1ww shinkle but is patented by Harry P Davis. im not to sure how Edward Shinkle was involved it it????:tinysmile_cry_t2:
hope somone knows.
Ive seen a few other gren patents by Shinkle but i dont know if any were manufactured.
paul.

Attachments

• HAND_GRENADE.pdf
    152.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Mike, there was a gentleman down south working some years ago on a book on US grenades, he had done much more work on the subject than anyone else I've seen, you might check with him. I know at least one of the folks posting on this site spent a week with him and several others doing research in the Archives on anything they could find.

Yes, I know him quite well and was planning on calling him just after the holidays.

it is virtually the same grenade as the 1ww shinkle but is patented by Harry P Davis. im not to sure how Edward Shinkle was involved it it????:tinysmile_cry_t2:
hope somone knows.
Ive seen a few other gren patents by Shinkle but i dont know if any were manufactured.
paul.

That does look a bit like his grenade. The documents I have for Shinkle are dated Nov., 30, 1918 and that patent is from 1919 so it might be a knock off. Definitely another direction to look in.

hope somone knows.
paul.

Paul, do you have this scan? It's part of the original patent for E.M. Shinkle's grenade in 1918?

Attachments

• Shinkle Drawing.jpg
    Shinkle Drawing.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 30