What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping

Big Al

I live in Canada.

Through this forum I am about to aquire some inert ordnance, namely two 34x239 Flb Kan 38 rounds.

How do I get them from Switzerland to Canada? FedEx and UPS are out since the items would have to pass through the US and that is not allowed.

I was thinking air cargo and label the items as "Inert Instructional Training Aid Cartridges".

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi Big Al.

i think you may have a problem as if you have them sent airmail, they will be xrayed and then pulled by the postal service. Surface mail would be better but no guarantee. Anything marked inert or cartridges will also probably be pulled. Surface mail can take 6 weeks or more but probably the best bet.

Andy

Hi,
From my hard found experience and desperation from the lack of any alternative, anything that is obvious in shape (to a greenhorn) that departs or transits through the US will be seized when x-rayed without any notification to either addressee or addresser. In other words it just disappears and never arrives.

On the other hand if it is an ordnance item such as a fuse that can be disassembled down to its smallest components and labelled as something benign then it will be guaranteed to be delivered overseas every time without fail because the normal Tom, Dick or Harry behind a x-ray machine will not recognise it.

It appears that there are a few high risk x-ray silhouettes and they are cartridge cases, projectiles & mortars because everybody recognises them for what they are even though they might be labelled "trench art" or something else.

What we all need is to find is a courier or carrier, be it by sea or air, that will deliver internationally. I believe that there must be something somewhere but whoever knows of a way is not letting on and keeping it to themselves.

Bear in mind that the USPS will only carry inert ordance internally within the US but will not internationally

As you all know if you can't source items internationally your collection suffers as a result. Here in Australia "F_ _K ALL" is available to the collector and if it is it has a very high price tag compared to places such as the US. This situation leaves us collectors in Aust. open to profiteering by an unscrupulous individuals that have found a way of getting it through.

For the sake of the collecting community if anyone does know of a courier or carrier be it by sea or air that will handle internationally, then please let the rest of us know.

As I see it, we all have to pull together on this one as "being able to, or not being able to" source internationally will be the subject that has the greatest impact on our collections and the ability to collect. I would go as far as to say that for some of us it would kill our collecting ability if a solution is not found.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

I am not glad to see that Australia (and all international shipments) has the same problem as Canada.

Some years back I bought a large number of cartridges from Conjay in England. Some were live. The cartridges were sent to a "packing service" by Conjay and then they were shipped air cargo. I contacted our national carrier (Air Canada) and they said that they would carry ammunition but I would need to conract the source country about exports.

I am now working on this and will keep everyone up to date.