What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shop at Aldi, support archeology

It's not just Aldi. Almost every building site in the UK has to be checked out or excavated by archaeologists before building starts. On our small island most places have been built on before. Plus of course there are many old roads, especially Roman that have been grassed over.

I know a very dedicated metal detectorist who has access to quite a few fields in Kent and recently he has found a Viking gold coin, coins from Henry III, Elizabeth I and quite a few Roman emperors. All from fields within 20 miles of where I live. Just a couple of miles from where I live a very large field is being checked at present before work starts on 450 houses.

In the 1990s I worked in a 1950s building in Gresham Street in the City of London. It was later demolished to put up a modern block. After the old building was taken down the City of London Museum had access to the site for nearly 2 years and in that time exposed complete Roman buildings, some of which had been burnt in the Boudicca rebellion. Not many yards down the road the Guildhall has been built on the site of the Roman Amphitheatre. The current building was built in 1411 over the site of an earlier gatehouse. So three layers of buildings there.

It's everywhere!