What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shopping on a tight budget

SG500

Premium Member
When I was a teenager in the early 80's I started collecting shells but didn't have much money so just had to make do with the basics. I was recently at a militaria fair and having blown far too much money on a nice FS Knife found myself with £30 left so what to do with that.........???

Having poked around in various boxes of rust I came up with these
A fired rusty projectile £10
A dugup fuze £5

The case was £15

Altogether £30 for a WW1 18 pounder that had been there and done it.

I've just spent an enjoyable day in the shed salvaging it. I'm not into filling things so after thorough cleaning the projectile got a coat of rust treatment solution. The adapter ring surprisingly for a shrapnel projectile, fitted tightly into the projectile body for the fuze to screw into. I'm sure some will think the case is now far too shiny but I'm sure it'll dull down soon enough, I like it anyway.

So yeah, back to basics now and again is good for the soul.....

Dave.

Before

IMG_2013.jpg

After

IMG_2020.jpgIMG_2022.jpgIMG_2024.jpgIMG_2032.jpgIMG_2030.jpgIMG_2033.jpgIMG_2018.jpgIMG_2021.jpgIMG_2023.jpg

Very nice job Dave and even more special because it is, as you say, a been there item.
Excellent

That restoration came so great, Dave! Wow! Looks incredible. $30 well spent :)

Jason