What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shot QF 2Pr - various designs (plus 3.5 Pr for interest)

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I thought the 2 Pr community might like to see the attached designs which I came across today in looking for information on the 281 fuze.

Also a sketch design of 3 1/2 Pr Auto.

I also found a 1927 filling design for a 2 Pr case to be used in a 3 Pr Gun fitted with a 1 inch barrel!

DD(L)SK3899 CARTRIDGE QF 3-5 PR AUTO.jpgDD(L)SK3918 2PR AP SHOT (ROCKET EFFECT).jpgDD(L)SK3917 2PR AP HE SHOT.jpgDD(L)SK3916 2PR AP INCY OR LACH.jpgDD(L)SK3915 2PR AP SHOT (ROCKET EFFECT ON IMPACT).jpgDD(L)SK3914 2PR AP SHOT (ROCKET EFFECT).jpgDD(L)SK3893B SHOT AP 2PR based on German.jpgDD(L)SK3893A SHOT AP 2PR based on German.jpgDD(L)SK3893 SHOT AP 2PR based on German.jpg

Thank you very much for posting those, it is really interesting to see some of the designs that got that far. I wonder how many of then ever got made for testing.
Best regards Weasel.

Any information on what the rocket effect in flight and impact refer to? Thanks, Otter

No text with these designs I am sorry to say. When I get the chance I will see if they are mentioned in Ordnance Board Proceedings. It would seem to me that the 'rocket in flight' aims to increase the velocity at the target to improve penetration, and the 'rocket on impact' would be effective within the target (as would the incendiary/lachrimatory follow-through element).