What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us your Wooden Drill Rounds

Andy,

Thanks for taking photos of the base and nose markings. I've never seen these training rounds before. Glad you started the thread. Maybe some other items will show up. To bad the Digitaltmuseum did not provide pictures of the markings on the Swedish training rounds, but at least they provided pictures of the whole rounds, most museums would not bother with items like these training rounds.

Slick,

Thanks for trying to photograph the markings on the 3 inch round. I know sometimes these training rounds were not well marked.

Brian

Last edited:
What type of wood was used.

While on the topic of Wooden Drill Rounds. Can anyone tell me what type of wood was used in the making of these drill rounds. I have seen oak (used on the 17 pounder). Most of the others have a different, reddish wood. Locally (in South Africa) we get a wood called Meranti which looks similar. Could it be the same or is it a different type of wood?

Hey Guys,
I have this WW2 dated 2 pounder round made of Oak. Has some really nice markings but also has a weird stylised capital F. anyone got any ideas about the F mark
Cheers from NZ2pdr.jpg2pdr1.jpg

Hi Tweetie,

I have one of these, and was told by a fairly knowledgeable dealer over here that the "F" in that form was the mark of Firestones, by whom it was made.

Regards,
Roger.

Hey Roger,
your dead right it looks exactly like the Firestone F, I never put the two together as thought what on earth would Firestone have to do with training rounds but I suppose a lot of company's re tooled and did what they could or were instructed to do for the war effort.
thanks heaps
cheers nathan

Good day All,

Does any one have a photo of a 3 pound Drill Round? Also still looking for a 12 pounder 12 CWT Drill if any one has one.

Thank you

12 Pounder for 12 and 8 CWT Guns

At the risk of being repetitive I placing this again (have listed it els where).

I found this information in Treatise on Ammunition (1915) which confirmed my thoughts that this drill round was used to fire live primers.

IMG_6018.JPG

Please see below:

Page 484 refers.

Drill Cartridges, Seperate Ammuntion.

Cartridge, Q.F. 12-pr. 12 and 8 cwt., Mark IV / C/

The above Drill cartridges are made of wood with metal ends which are secured to the teak by brass screws, and a central tube which is screwed into the primer end by being passed down from the opposite end of the cartridge and secured by a nut ; this tube is to enable the electrical testing of primers and tubes to be carried out.

It would appear that Mark IV types of Drill used the tubes and that the Mark V Drill round used the solid rod.

IMG_6030.JPGIMG_6031.JPGIMG_6032.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a old ww1 12 pdr 12 cwt recovered from the seabed. It is a casing filled with a wood block secured with a rod trough the sides of the shell case no visible markings any more.

image.jpg image.jpg

Very nice collection. I suppose now I need to dust off my 6'' Drill round and take a photo. I have it and another 6'' complete drill round still in the unopened cardboard shipping box. The markings on the box say ''Drexel Furniture Company''. The 6'' is a beast, I am guessing it to be the best part of 50 lbs

Very nice, Andy. Here are some of my better wooden dummies. 6" USN, 4''-50 USN, and 3''-50 USN. I also have all of them in brass with various inert projectiles, save for the 6'' case. Aside from the large size of the brass case, it is rather boring and looks like a scaled up 5''-38 case. The 6'' case looks rather meek sitting next to my 8''-55 case which is clearly over a foot taller. No wooden dummy for that, yet. The wooden dummy with the red wooden fuze is also a 4''-50. Somewhere over 50 years ago I painted the dummy gold colored and made the wooden fuze cap. My dad paid $5 for both the 4'' wooden dummies from a surplus store around 1961.
20150801_083442.jpg20150801_085304.jpg20150801_085350.jpg20150801_085712.jpg20150801_094107.jpg

Thank you Kimmer. Very impressive. Ironically I started collecting Wooden Drill rounds after watching one of the NCIS episodes in March 2014.

Andy

57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill1.jpg57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill2.jpg57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill3.jpg57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill4.jpg57x464R  6Pr 10cwt drill5.jpg
Greetings to all....great thread..............this must be a rare sight.......for 6Pr 10cwt coast defence guns........57x464R.....this is not mine, but I bid on it a few years ago .....so feel its OK to use the photos......... LOL

37 mm US Drill as sold on E-Bay

apfsds recently alerted me to this 37 mm US Drill which was eventually sold on E-Bay for US $ 316.25.

$_12[1] (2).jpg$_12[1].jpg$_57[1].jpg

$_57[2].jpg

$_57[3].jpg

Almost looks like it was made to fire some thing ?

Yes it's a Subcalibre round for the Navy Heavy 1pr. gun. Uses a 45-70 cal. That was quite a bit for one of these.
Not strictly a pure drill round. These would be sold with the guns to any one, but most are likely Navel issue.