What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sidewinder dummy assembly pieces parts of M model

HAZORD

Premium Member
I went to an airshow over the weekend, luckily not the Reno Air Races. The Airbase I visited hosts F-15E Strike Eagles from USAF and the Royal Singapore Air Force. I took a lot of photos of bombs and missiles which I will be posting as I get them organized. Unfortunately, everything was assembled using dummy and training assemblies, so there will be some discrepencies between the posted photos, and live ordnance.

Since you don't see any good photos on the net of how to build a Sidewinder M Model, I took some photos of various pieces/parts of the dummy missiles on the rails of the F-15Es.

To build a missile, starting from the front you find the GCU (Guidance Control Unit) photos 1, 2, and 4, which is followd by the Target Detector (Proximity) which is covered with the orange protective wrap, the Warhead, and finally the motor. I didn't photograph the rear wings in detail, as Lou has already posted excellent photos of his set of 4. These 4 main body components are assembled using 3 clamps, which can be seen in photos 3, 5, 6, and 7. The components are keyed along with the clamps, so that all clamps are alligned on one side of the missile, opposite the side where the missile engages the mounting rails on the aircraft.

The fins on the GCU guide the missile towards the target. Small stainless steel cage brackets can be seen in photos 1 and 2, which keep these fins from moving, until the missile is launched. The Sidewinder is 5 inches in diameter.

All photos copyright HAZORD 2011.

Attachments

• GCU 1.jpg
    GCU 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 46
  • GCU 2.jpg
    GCU 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
  • GCU Fuze WH and Motor.jpg
    GCU Fuze WH and Motor.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 43
  • GCU Lettering.jpg