What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIGNAL cartridge or what?

charley777

Hello everyone....This heavy steel blue-painted case needs ID please. It is dimensionally a little different to standard 1.5inch and 37/38mm signal and riot round cases. There are no markings of any kind. The case is not drawn...the seam is visible in one of the photos. Length of case is 104mm. Rim diameter is 43.3mm. Body diameter is 38.3mm. Internal neck diameter is 36.2mm. External neck diameter is 38.1mm. Primer pocket (for push-fit primer) diameter is 9.8mm. It would seem at first glance to have some sort of high/low pressure system because from mouth to internal base is only 78mm. However the base appears to be solid. Any clues anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 49
I wonder if its a home made or experimental cartridge? Im basing this assumption on the fact that there are no markings and that the body is made of seamed tubing, unusual in cartridges. The large primer pocket might accept a blank pistol cartridge.

Just my guess anyway.
Fred

Signal cartridge

So immediatly, I think on a signal cartridge assembly for practice bombs. It's to great for Mk 106 (dia 22 or 24 mm), but perhaps for bigger practice bombs...

Could it be a blank batton round,simular to the L60 blank,which does indeed use a pistol type blank.

Tony

Attachments

• d.JPG
    d.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 19