What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple Question 20mm Becker

Lou

Could someone please tell me what direction the tracer element threads in a 20mm Becker projectile are??
Ok,are the threads in the bottom of this projectile righty tighty,or lefty tighty?

Attachments

• Unknown 002.jpg
    Unknown 002.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Hi Lou,
I've got a coUple of these.
they are just a press fit,i had to soak in oil for a few days to ease them out,then carefully scratched away at the primer comp,needs soaking too!.
cheers Bob

Thanks guys,
Yes,it turned out it was a press fit plug. I wonder if design lasted long? One would think that at firing the plug and the shells contents would be left behind?

The pressure generated during firing is the same over the whole base of a shell when fired. So the tracer would see the same pressure as the rest of the shell, hence they would not tend to separate.

I agree with that,but "when lit" wouldnt the increased internal pressure push that plug out?

Load over area!

Go back to basic engineering and the equation of "Load over area" and you will see that the pressure over the tracer element will actually tend to seat it harder into the shell body.

Think of Newton's Third Law as well, "For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction."

The heated gases generated by the buring tracer should act in a similar manner as a rocket motor. Obviously there is no where near enough force to aid in propulsion but the idea meets the requirements in Newton's Law.

This means that the tracer would seat itself further into the tracer cavity once ignited. The pressure is being exterted throughout the face of the tracer element.

Found this in a General staff artillery guide ,march 1918.
Doesn't show the base plug but maybe they didn't all have it ?
I like the "tracer emits a trail of sparks"!

cheers Bob.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 20