What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simulator atomic explosion 5.5 inch

The Simulator Atomic Explosion 5.5 in was used to simulate the air burst of an atomic bomb. Approx. size was 140mm (5.5in), 180 mm long (7in) and contained approx .47kg (16oz) of pyrotechnic mixture. It was ignited by a length of fuze instantaneous and fired from a steel mortar tube dug into the ground or surrounded by sandbags. When ejected to reached approx. 146m (400ft) bursting with a flash, a puff of brown smoke and a loud report. It is could be seen from about a mile away. Sorry I haven't got a photo but if memory serves me right it looked like a very large firework mine/mortar. Some of the later versions came in a large blue plastic barrel.

Hope this helps

Regards John P

The old "Bundeswehr" simulator, long out of use, was much,much bigger. About the size of an oil barrel with many kg of flash and smoke compositions interconnected with precision delays to get the effect. If there is any interest I can look for the technical drawing of this largest "firecracker" that I have ever seen. I never had a chance to wittness it function and I don't think that there is a replacement for this in actual inventory.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Thanks all for replies... there must be a video somewhere of one of these going off? Would be interested to see just how big a bang it made :)