What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

small Blitz relic from parachute mine? Coventry 1940

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Piece of scrap to many, but I find these small relics fascinating. Listed as a piece of WW2 'Shrapnel' I bought it for very little money. After communication with the seller I found out that this small piece was recovered from Coventry following the raid of 14th November 1940. It was recovered from the ruins of a factory by a member of the ARP who told the factory owner that he believed it to be from a land mine. I have cross referenced the information given to me by the seller to the date the factory was flattened - and so there can be no doubt that it, whatever it is, originated from that particular day - which is without doubt a significant date in the history of the Blitz on the UK.

It is surprisingly difficult to take good images of, being so small and 'twisted'. Its made of an alloy and with sharp edges clear machining to the surface. It has a well distorted thread, so it screwed into something and the top edge has a six sided nut cast into it so it could be tightened up. The nut part appears to be covered with a circular flange. The centre appears to have a separate circular piece, but wether this is fixed or totally separate is hard to conclude from the damage sustained. There are no markings on it at all, (as far as I can see) and it measures approx 35mm in length and would have been something similar in diameter (at the head) if not distorted.

Now I have looked through the limited documents I have to hand on the Parachute mines and believe I may have found something resembling this in some drawings - though I cannot be certain, certainly the dimensions from what I can ascertain are similar.

I wonder if anyone is able to confirm 'my suspicions' or indeed tell me exactly what I have?

I have attatched some photos of the item, together with some drawings of what I belive it is, unless of course you know better ??

regards Kev

P6110657.jpgP6110658.jpgP6110659.jpgP6110660.jpgP6110661.jpgP6110662.jpg

and here are the photos of what I 'suspect' it may be.....

drawing 2.jpgdrawing 3.pngdrawing.jpg

We have a "Parachute Mine" in the Maritme Museum here in Liverpool, huge it is.

That piece you have Kev, certainly looks like one of those in the diagram, I Love Parachute mines!

This one fell in Childwall, Liverpool, Five minutes drive from where I live and the house is still there. :hmpf:

Different story if it had exploded...

It's different from the one in the Museum :hmmmm2:

Attachments

• parachuteblitz_image1 (200x258).jpg
    parachuteblitz_image1 (200x258).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: