What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small brass thing

SG500

Premium Member
Does anyone know what this is?
Its a couple of inches long and has DR56MK3 stamped on the side.
Dave.

Attachments

• 12 Oct 10 001.jpg
    12 Oct 10 001.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 12 Oct 10 002.jpg
    12 Oct 10 002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 12 Oct 10 003.jpg
    12 Oct 10 003.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 12 Oct 10 004.jpg
    12 Oct 10 004.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 60
As a fuze lighter for firing demolition charges. But, also found use to initate booby traps.

I have a Mk III in front of me and it differs from yours in that it is essentially a piece of brass tube with screw caps either end. What are the dimensions of yours?

Regards

TimG

Thanks, the igniter is 75mm long and 13mm wide - measured roughly with a tape measure.
Dave.

Safety fuze igniter

You crimp in your safety fuze cord at the end, pull the pin out and retire to a very safe distance.
On pulling the pin out a small spring loaded firing pin hits a .303 det and sends a flash up the tube into the safety fuze cord-used to see a lot of these around but being made of Brass they always got hoovered up for scrap !!

One of these?

Hi Dave
Havent seen one like that.
Has someone cut the threads off the head end that holds on the cap?

All the best
T42

Attachments

• Perc ign.jpg
    Perc ign.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 31
You crimp in your safety fuze cord at the end, pull the pin out and retire to a very safe distance.
On pulling the pin out a small spring loaded firing pin hits a .303 det and sends a flash up the tube into the safety fuze cord-used to see a lot of these around but being made of Brass they always got hoovered up for scrap !!

Thanks for the explanation Chris.
Dave.

Hi Dave
Havent seen one like that.
Has someone cut the threads off the head end that holds on the cap?

All the best
T42

Hi T42, no its never had any threads on the end. I've had this for about 30 years, when I got it it was green. It got cleaned up sometime in the past. I'm certain its not been messed around with.
Dave.

Top is as it should be !

The top is correct T42 as the safety fuze is crimped into the top with it being stopped in position by the circular crimp and the holes below this are so that the blast and flash from the detonator do not blow the safety fuze out of the device and most importantly they also stop an increase in pressure which could result in a shortened "burn time" of the fuze line!

The threads to which you refer are where someone has crimped in a piece of safety fuze !

Last edited: