What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small French light mortar captured and used by German Fallschirmjager.

Would this have a lever operated firing pin or a drop type ie mortar bomb drops on pin?

Ah, perfect. Many thanks Stecol. I need a fuze, if anybody has a spare one... PM.

Attachments

• 5cm_GrW_203_f_-600x467.jpg
    5cm_GrW_203_f_-600x467.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 34s1py1.jpg
    34s1py1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 64
It has a lever operated firing pin....I have one, it has a WaA popped on the leveling bubble cover, so it must have been German used. I am curious whether they could use the standard German 5cm mortar round in it....

Here are some pics of my demilled mortar....there are two leveling bubbles which I am not sure are original to the French versions...the one on the base seems to have been added, while the one on the tube fits into a pre-existing dovetail. Also took shots of the "trigger" lever and some overall shots for you..

.DSC02464.jpgDSC02465.jpgDSC02466.jpgDSC02467.JPGDSC02468.jpgDSC02469.jpgDSC02471.jpg

I see now. Maybe just a German Inspector marked it with the "OK Eagle" for service in the German Army. Congratulations, it is an extremelly nice piece and thank you for the photos.

Hello,
I have just aquired a 60mm WW2 French mortar round which looks similar to yours. Could anyone let me have some info on this? (It's definitely 60mm). I would particularly like to see a section or a drawing of the workings.
Many thanks in advance,
navyman.

Attachments

• 60mm 3.jpg
    60mm 3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 60mm 2.jpg
    60mm 2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yes, just a standard 60mm mortar without paint, here you see the ones I have. Also note the top of the fuze is missing.

Attachments

• French Mortars.jpg
    French Mortars.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Miguel,
If I can get hold of a drawing I will try and fabricate a repro top on the lathe.
Cheers
navyman.

I am curious whether they could use the standard German 5cm mortar round in it....

Hi

Only use of the standard 5cm french round.
For information :
two differents models of fins exist
* the aluminium fins like these on the pictures before
* and the steel fins , less common , perhaps made by the germans .

These 5cm mortar shells were also used as antipersonal mines , without fins and fuzed with a chemical buck german mine fuze.

regards from France

These 5cm mortar shells were also used as antipersonal mines , without fins and fuzed with a chemical buck german mine fuze.

that's true, kz11gr
CIMG1063.jpg this one stripped down to a so called W-1 CIMG1087.jpg, a Reibznder West or the similar brass adapter with M 10x1 thread for other types of pull-fuzes will also fit.