What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoke generator no 8

Madbomber31

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Dos any one have some info on this?

Smoke_Generator_No_8__02_.JPG

Cheers Mad :)

Hi Mad, here is a picture of an empty can for the No 8 Mk 6 smoke generator, I have some other info but not on this pc. There is quite a bit of information on Lex's website about them, Tony.
MVC_379S.JPG

Thanks for posting this ,you have just given me a POSITIVE id of something i found a couple of years ago
Item shown was destroyed by EOD

Image006-2ba8b6d0cbc565931f27f9306350db92.jpg

Drawing from 1964 markings manual, No 8 is top centre. There used to be lots of these kicking around, all burnt out, but I am not sure if they are used now.
ordnance_markings_1964_418.jpg

Reading my course notes from 1979 I see that in UK land service we had three smoke generators in service at that time: No 8, No 24 and No 28.

From your thread it seems that the No 8 was in service at least in WW2. It was used during training but I have nothing to tell me for what purpose. Perhaps it was just a smaller, cheaper version of the larger generators? It was designed to emit smoke for 80 seconds.

The Mk 4 had a steel body and was 4 inches in diameter and 4 inches high. It was filled with priming, igniting and smoke composition with a total explosive filling of about 3 1/2 Lb. A hole in the top was covered with a cellulose acetate disc, presumably for waterproofing. For use the disc was pierced and a 6 inch length of safety fuze (Fuze Safety No 11 Mk 2) was inserted and lit with a Match Fuzee. The safety fuze burned for about 15 seconds and the priming composition for a further 5 seconds before passing the flame to the igniting composition and from that to the smoke composition.

The Smoke Generator No 8 Mk 5 was the same as the Mk 4 except that the filling was recessed to accept the Igniter No 8 Smoke Generator Mk 1 and 18 inches of twin cable for electrical ignition. For ignition the user had to employ 10 yards (30 feet) minimum of electric cable connected to a 6 Volt or 12 Volt battery. Smoke was emitted 5 seconds after ignition.

The Smoke Generator No 8 Mk 6 differed from the Mk 5 by having a steel clip welded to the closing disc and used an Igniter Smoke Generator No 8 Mk 2. Perhaps the steel clip was an anti-snatch device for the cable, so if someone were to snag a foot on the cable it might not detach the cable from the generator?

The Generator Smoke No 24 was 12 times bigger than the No 8, with a burning time of 11 - 18 minutes (not sure why not a more specific time). The Mk 2 version had a waterproof tear-off disc with a five second delay of primed cotton cambric underneath. Ignition was by match fuzee.

The Generator Smoke No 24 Mk 5 differed from the Mk 2 by having an Igniter Electric Smoke Generator No 84 Mk 1/1. Some also had a Relay Igniter Mk 1, allowing connection to another generator, to maintain smoke generation for a longer duration.

Generator Smoke No 28 had a smoke emission time of 5 minutes. The Mk 2 version had a match head igniter and Fuze electric F92 Mk 1/1. A celluloid igniter cover provided waterproofing prior to use. A hardwood striker covered in striker composition was wrapped in paper and taped to the top of the generator. It seems then that this version of the No 28 could be ignited manually and electrically. It could also be ignited by another No 28, by use of Igniter Relay Mk 2, similar to the relay ignition used with the No 24 Mk 5.

I hope this is of use to you.

If you look at the picture of the box with 10 smoke generators in it that started the thread it also contained 14? Carts and 12 Muzzle covers.

Any idea what the last two items were used for?

Discharger cartridges

I believe that box of smoke dischargers was for AFVs, and the muzzle covers went over the smoke pot launchers on the vehicle. The discharger cartridge is a .303 H Mark 2 used to launch them.

Regards
tonyE

Generator Smoke No 8 Mk I

The first mark of No 8 generator dates back pre-war (WW2) drawings were sealed and the store introduced in March/April 1936 (WOLC B860). Slightly different cartridge to that for the later marks of generator I expect.

In my list dated 1943 the No 8 mk III was housed in a M.63 II or M.63 III box. This pic marked as 1945 is just a little later and shows N0 8 mk IV

A colleague of mine has found a couple of nr. 8's, either mark 4 or 5 ( it has the cellulose disk, makes that it a mk4?). We thought that, it being smoke generators, there was no harm in keeping them in storage. Are we wrong? Could they potentially detonate?

Here's my No8 smokes, the first one did have this wire firing device fitted, which basically is a small igniter glued into the hole, the sectioned one still has a celluloid disc in the exit hole....... Dave.

HPIM6038.jpg HPIM6039.jpg HPIM6040.jpg HPIM6041.jpg HPIM6042.jpg HPIM6043.jpg HPIM6044.jpg HPIM6045.jpg

Hello,

Has someone the dimensions and total weight and weight of the content of the smoke generator No. 24?

Thanks Antoon

Dimensions (for stowage purposes) are:

Mk I High* 8.125 inches diameter x 10.375
Mk II 8.05 x 12.25
Mks III, IV & V 8.07 x 12.25

* all figures high tolerance, not sure what the low would be, maybe 0.125 inches smaller.

Is the smoke generator No. 8 Mk V post WW-2 or was this used also during the war?

Greetings - Antoon

Last edited:
Is the smoke generator No. 8 Mk V post WW-2 or was this used also during the war?

Greetings - Antoon

The Mark V design was sealed in October 1942 and there were several amendments suggesting that it saw active service in WW2. The Mark 6 design was sealed in December 1944 so it is also likely to have been used in WW2.

DWS Notes on Ammunition No 18 was prepared for publication in September 1943 and contained Generator Smoke No 8 Mk V, therefore it must be reasonable to assume that it was used during WWII.
It was designed for use in tanks as a Rear Smoke Emitter and was fitted with the Igniter Electrical G60, under the metal closing disc.
The G60 had to be fitted retrospectively to the earlier marks which were used in this way.