What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So.... What else does everyone collect?

Edwardc

Just wondering what else anyone collects apart from ordnance?

Some people have interests that are closely related and some completely poles apart. So what else do you collect?

I collect vintage British and American Geiger counters and US Civil Defense items, pictured here is some of my collection (The British stuff is in my nuclear bunker museum) of stuff, the lamp isnt original - I made that out of a non-working meter

DSC_2085Medium.jpg

DSC_2086Medium.jpg

Anyway, I was bored, SWMBO is out and I just got curious as to what other people collect or am I weird?
Post your pics below or not, its just a bit of fun

Ed

Ed

You do realize that SWMBO can see and hear everything you say, and can also read your mind? So, good luck.

Anyway, that's an interesting hobby. I am an old guy who was a young adult during the US Civil Defense days (1950s). The CD Shelters, back-yard bomb shelters, classroom drills, etc. I lived in a small town, and after the entire CD crazy idea wore off, I had occasion to get into some of the well stocked, but abandoned, CD shelters. The contents of those shelters would have made you drool. Everything from tampons to geiger counters. Since no one in the Govt had any use for the stuff it was eventually liberated by the citizenry. One of things I took was a geiger counter which I eventually sold at a garage sale. I now wish I had kept that loot but little did I know that all of it would someday become collectable.

Back to your IP, I also collect John Wayne movies. Maybe you've heard of him. Almost all are on VHS. I have a player to watch them but have no idea what I will do when/if it breaks because VHS is so out-of-date that the tapes will be worthless to anyone but a dinosauer like me.

Ray

Last edited:
cool, sounds great, im based in the UK and collect UK related stuff to, I remember the cruise missile demonstrations etc in the 80's. i jsut find the whole bunker mentality fascinating!

Im always on the lookout for cold war/civil defence related stuff, will put some photos of the rest up sometime

And yeah, john wayne movies, thats cool and exactly what im talking about!

Back to your IP, I also collect John Wayne movies. Maybe you've heard of him. Almost all are on VHS. I have a player to watch them but have no idea what I will do when/if it breaks because VHS is so out-of-date that the tapes will be worthless to anyone but a dinosauer like me.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I think there is a "herd of dinosaurs" on this site - so you are not alone(LOL)!!!!

Re your VHS John Wayne movies...........you should be able to now buy these easily on DVDs - from what I have seen these are quite inexpensive like Elvis movies.
(Lucky you didn't buy them on the Betamax tape format - I actually had a new Gungdig player at one stage - far superior format than VHS, but as usual the inferior product marketing campaign won out!)

...and DVD players are also dirt cheap!

My other collecting interests included antique Japanese swords and helmets (Kabutos), mostly interested in the Koto Period (pre 1596) stuff, which is few and far between & expensive these days.

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Here's my small CD collection. My, how that definition has changed over the recent past.

civil defense 009 (Small).jpgcivil defense 014 (Small).jpgcivil defense 012 (Small).jpgOrdHut 4 14 2011 049 (Small).jpg

Rick

My other collecting interests included antique Japanese swords and helmets (Kabutos), mostly interested in the Koto Period (pre 1596) stuff, which is few and far between & expensive these days.

Cheers
Drew

you got any photos? Sounds great, i imagine they are very ornate and well made

Here's my small CD collection. My, how that definition has changed over the recent past.

View attachment 55571View attachment 55570View attachment 55569View attachment 55572

Rick

Rick i have been looking for some sanitation kits, and medical kits etc but they are a lot to get posted from the US, i will get some survival crackers at some point though!

Hello

I collect Deac guns and medals and have decided only to collect german ordnance I also have a lot of pets lol cool collection !

Edward

Two of these came up for bid a couple of years ago. I remembered them as a kid. Most of them have been thrown out as they were generally stored in building basements with little or no attention paid to their upkeep. Mine is complete, at least according to the packing list. I've seen a couple of empty cans, but I suppose the majority of this stuff is hauled to the dump when the building owners have decided they need the space.

Rick

And FYI, that is some serious John Wayne TP. 80 grit, I believe.

civil defense 002 (Small).jpgcivil defense 001 (Small).jpgcivil defense 003 (Small).jpgcivil defense 004 (Small).jpgcivil defense 005 (Small).jpgcivil defense 006 (Small).jpgcivil defense 007 (Small).jpgcivil defense 008 (Small).jpg

In the 90s I used to have one of the biggests, (or maybe the biggest at that moment), Star Wars Vintage Toys collection in Spain. Yes, that it is the roof or ceiling, (I dont know what word is the exact one), of my bedroom.

Attachments

• AT-AT, Y-Wing.jpg
    AT-AT, Y-Wing.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Pared 2.jpg
    Pared 2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Pared 1.jpg
    Pared 1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Habitacin 1 Naves.jpg
    Habitacin 1 Naves.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Blisters Techo 2.jpg
    Blisters Techo 2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Blisters Techo 1.jpg
    Blisters Techo 1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Blisters Oscuros.jpg
    Blisters Oscuros.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 32
  • BlisterCueva 2.jpg
    BlisterCueva 2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 34
  • BlisterCueva.jpg
    BlisterCueva.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 42
  • AFAs.jpg
    AFAs.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 34
Some more pics. I completed the POPY set, (only produced for the Japanese market and extremelly difficult to get a complet set, it took me 5 years of collecting), already collecting ordnance, it was my last Star Wars purchase.

Attachments

• Ventana Derecha.jpg
    Ventana Derecha.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Ventana Izquierda.jpg
    Ventana Izquierda.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Vasos Diagonal Derecha.jpg
    Vasos Diagonal Derecha.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Vasos Diagonal Izquierda.jpg
    Vasos Diagonal Izquierda.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Vasos Izq..jpg
    Vasos Izq..jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Vasos Derecha.jpg
    Vasos Derecha.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Uzays.jpg
    Uzays.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9
  • POTF Anakin Skywalker.jpg
    POTF Anakin Skywalker.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Popy Set.jpg
    Popy Set.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Vasos Centro.jpg
    Vasos Centro.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 6
Edward

Two of these came up for bid a couple of years ago. I remembered them as a kid. Most of them have been thrown out as they were generally stored in building basements with little or no attention paid to their upkeep. Mine is complete, at least according to the packing list. I've seen a couple of empty cans, but I suppose the majority of this stuff is hauled to the dump when the building owners have decided they need the space.

Rick

And FYI, that is some serious John Wayne TP. 80 grit, I believe.

View attachment 55590View attachment 55589View attachment 55591View attachment 55592View attachment 55593View attachment 55594View attachment 55595View attachment 55596

that is very impressive, thanks for sharing. How long did it take to get all that lot together?

Hey, I found a pic with the complet set, note all boxes are with the figures still sealed in the baggie and with the two catalogs. I also collected Dragon WWII, but sold almost of them this year for stop on hobby, on that hobby.

Attachments

• Popy Set.jpg
    Popy Set.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6909.jpg
    IMG_6909.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6910.jpg
    IMG_6910.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6911.jpg
    IMG_6911.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6912.jpg
    IMG_6912.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 13
I also have a big collection of a Vintage Spanish construction toy called Tente, which also sold in many European countries and even at the USA. I already sold a part of the collection and Im planning to sell more when I come back to Spain.

Attachments

• Barco Militar 12.jpg
    Barco Militar 12.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Barco Militar 11.jpg
    Barco Militar 11.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Barco Militar 5.jpg
    Barco Militar 5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Barco Militar 7.jpg
    Barco Militar 7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 14
  • Barco Militar 1.jpg
    Barco Militar 1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Militar 9.jpg
    Militar 9.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Militar 7.jpg
    Militar 7.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Militar 6 In.jpg
    Militar 6 In.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Militar 6.jpg
    Militar 6.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16
  • Militar 10.jpg
    Militar 10.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 15
. . . i will get some survival crackers at some point though!

Ed

Me and a couple other fools raided an old CD shelter and liberated sealed tins of both crackers and lemon drop candy. We envisioned using it on hunting trips. The candy had mostly melted into one big lemon drop and the crackers tasted like cardboard. We joked about being cooped up with 30 people in one of these shelters for days, or weeks, pooping in a plastic bag and eating candy and crackers. Stepping out into the contaminated air and taking a deep breath would have preferrable.

Drew - It would cost me a fortune to acquire all of my John Wayne movies in a different format, including DVDs. I'm hoping that my VHS player will last as long as I do.

Ray

Last edited:
Once you have something stored during a long time... many times you sell it.

Attachments

• Montn De Tente.jpg
    Montn De Tente.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 43
I collect books on weapons and fortification and Kliban cat t-shirts( I have over 400 which I wear daily)(Not all at one time!!)

I also have a big collection of a Vintage Spanish construction toy called Tente, which also sold in many European countries and even at the USA. I already sold a part of the collection and Im planning to sell more when I come back to Spain.

Wow, cool collection there :) I remember Tente here in the UK for its military models, but it wasn't ever easy to find. I am happy to look after your collection if you are struggling:)
Here are a few photos from my collections. As you can see nost of it revolves around military but my interest in all things vehicular extends to cars, tractors and construction equipment. The buses are from the two local companies that operate/used to operate - Midland Red and WMPTE - West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive, now National Express.

IMG_1662.jpgIMG_1663.jpgIMG_1665.jpgIMG_1666.jpgIMG_1668.jpgIMG_1670.jpgIMG_1671.jpgIMG_1673.jpgIMG_1675.jpgIMG_1677.jpgIMG_1678.jpgIMG_1679.jpgIMG_1680.jpg

I have a reasonable collection of diecast vehicles of most types,mainly transport,I also have Dinky,Solido,Matchbox,Benbros,Lone star,military vehicles,mostly older stuff,very little of the modern chinese made stuff,I have a few Russian made diecasts as well,I have a collection of books on aircraft,military vehicles,tanks,weapons of all calibres,videos and dvds of ww1 ww2 and the war in Bosnia,Oh I nearly forgot,I have about twenty watches,
Don,