What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOE Switch No 10 (Brown) for cold climates

switch

Premium Member
SOE Switch No 10 (Brown) for cold climates.

Following a request for information from a fellow BOCN member, I present the following Switch No 10 (Brown) developed for use in cold climates. I am not sure if the labelling on the closing tape is period, but that's how they came to me.

Brown1.jpgBrown3.jpgBrown2.jpgBrown4.jpgBrown5.jpg

I have very little information on these, and they appear to be uncommon to say the least. I have only ever seen this set, but I presume there are other examples out there somewhere.

The following is taken from SOE Equipment Air dropped in Europe by A. Thygesen & M. Sode:
" A Time Pencil accomodated for cold climates was also developed. We are not sure of the nominal time delay that it provided. but according to a brief note it included anti-freeze in the cupric chloride solution and was only for use in cold climates. It was only assembled in the Mk I version and was distinguished by a brown safety strip"

Does anyone have any further information regarding development and scale of production, or anything else relevant. Also does anyone know if they were a planned store, or a mission specific product like many SOE special devices.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Switch

I have been told that the time delay most likely was 30 hours. But I have nothing official to back up this information. Also I do not know at which temperature the 30 hours were good for.

Last edited:
Thanks Anders
Every little helps, even if it is anecdotal. There seems to be an absence of information regarding this duration of Time Pencil which is why I was wondering if they were mission specific. Have you seen many of these in your travels?
Cheers
Switch

No I have never seen it live, nor an official document on this pencil, it is very exciting.
P.S. I have send you an email.

heres a page from a US navy bomb disposal manual.the last line states they are for special missions only.also the red one is good for -20C,so the brown one must have been for very cold conditions

Attachments

• P1040320.jpg
    P1040320.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 38
  • P1040321.jpg
    P1040321.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 33
i have 1 in my collection was just informed when i was given it was for cold climates with so few in circulation leaves myself to belive for special mission only

Thank your for sharing that stunning set of 5 you have.

I also believe these are mission specific but i would imagine that a batch was produced should further missions require them.