What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOG and MACV

SOG - Studies and observation group. Under MACV conducted "unconventional" warfare, including "cross-border" missions in Laos, Cambodia, and North Vietnam throughout the Vietnam War.

MACV - Military Assistance Command, Vietnam. Superceded the Military Assistance advisory group (MAAG), the US military advisory program to South Vietnam began in 1955 and dissolved in May 1964. First organized in 1962, MACV placed US advisors in the South Vietnamese military.

Source - The Vietnam Experience - Time Life books

Last edited:
Hello Dano,

I have the complete set of those books by Time Life.

The plan for the ground war was Operation Plan 35 or Oplan 35. In Laos, with Ambassador William Sullivan. He hated SOG and thought of them as constant problems. He decided that if SOG was to enter Laos they would have to walk into Laos from the border in South Vietnam and this could only happen when SOG flew out of their FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) and they were the last stop before going "Across The Fence". This problem was in two areas inside of Laos called the "Shining Brass" areas. These were all of Sullivan's developments that hindered SOG. Because he hated SOG so much he imposed the following order: When operating into this area they were not to travel anymore than 10 kilometers inside of Laos. Then it was OK'd by Sullivan to go to 20 Kilometers. These were abilities listed for all American ambassadores in the worldpowers that ironically were singed by President Kennedy giving the Ambassadore's them more power to operate in their countries when Kennedy signed it into Law in 1962. SOG's Colonel Simons learned that they could beat the system of the 20 kilometer limit into Laos by re-drawing the borders to where he wanted them to be because nobody really knew where the borders were. That included the top of the map which stated that all borders are approximate. Colonel Simons then had maps made up by the US Engineers showing where he wanted the borders to be. Nobody new anything including Sullivan about the border regions.

By the way, those book series really only scratched the surface of SOG which I believe came out during the 1980's.

In order to read more about this situation, I can explain it more later if this is OK with you? "White Star" which was started in 1955 with the Laotions and ended at approximately, 1966(?).

Dan,

Also, check out those web sites I have shown up in previous post(s) for more info.

Last edited: