What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOG Gear...

V40

Here is some gear used by the typical, SOG recon Team member. Please feel free to ask ANY questions you wish to ask. Allot of the small pieces cannot be seen well in these pictures such as the NVA "Heroes Pin" and why the black hat with a red star doing on it?

Respectfully to you guys,

Mark

Attachments

• Smoke emiters 003.jpg
    Smoke emiters 003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 111
  • SOG Gear 003.jpg
    SOG Gear 003.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 123
  • SOG Gear 004.jpg
    SOG Gear 004.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 109
  • SOG Gear 005.jpg
    SOG Gear 005.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 123
  • SOG Gear 006.jpg
    SOG Gear 006.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 111
  • SOG Gear 007.jpg
    SOG Gear 007.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 114
  • SOG Gear 012.jpg
    SOG Gear 012.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 94
  • SOG Gear 018.jpg
    SOG Gear 018.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 104
  • SOG Gear 002.jpg
    SOG Gear 002.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 129
More SOG gear.

Attachments

• SOG Gear Part 2 003.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 003.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 73
  • SOG Gear Part 2 008.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 008.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 55
  • SOG Gear Part 2 007.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 007.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 60
  • SOG Gear Part 2 006.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 006.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62
  • SOG Gear Part 2 005.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 005.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 68
  • SOG Gear Part 2 004.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 004.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 77
  • SOG Gear Part 2 002.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 002.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 79
  • SOG Gear Part 2 001.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 2 001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 77
Sweeeeet!

Darn sweet collection Mark!
A rifle launched Willie Pete? That's awsome.
Is that a period can of Rustoleum?
action-smiley-068.gif

John,

Unfortunately not. WishI did have one though. What you are seeing is over $10,000 worth of my collection on SOG history.

Also, SOG experimented allot with the W/P's fired from the end of the M-16A1 and to have one of the Recon Team members carrying it with gas (CS) and W/P grenades. Also, thanks for looking!

John,

Do you know why I have included a can of Rust-o-leum in the picture?

Very nice collection of gear Mark. I see an XM58 pocket CS grenade in there. Is it a real one? Very scarce grenade.

And here's something that would be right at home in those photos. I've had it for a number of years and eventually found a copy of the test report on microfiche for a positive identification but had never seen a period photograph until recently. It is a length of XM-61 Linear Mine, also known as Fragmacord.

A couple years ago I finally bought a copy of John Plaster's photo history of MACV-SOG and was surprised to see this photograph inside. The caption says it's a length of det. cord with washers slipped over for fragmentation, which is not correct. It was actually factory produced that way with square wire fragmentation coils crimped over a heavy det. cord liner. It could be cut to various lengths and used as an anti-personnel mine or hasty booby trap. My piece is an inert training version and the simulated det. cord is blue rubber with a nylon cord thread down the center.

Attachments

• sog.jpg
    sog.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 66
Ordnance,

Yes I have read allot about it, but never new that it was a factory produced item. Thanks, I just learned something new because I thought they were individually made. Also, yes that would look great in my collection. Also the XM58 is not real. It is a replica. I had a chance to purchase one "Live" for $800+ from a fellow collector of SOG items. I couldn't touch that so I left it go. Seems he was trying to sell it for a few years now and it finally sold about 6 months ago

John,

You are absolutely correct. They also used it to spray paint there OD fatigues to make streak and or spots on there fatigues that they wore out over the fence. I should have a set in one of my pictures I posted. Best camo anywhere their is greenery around.

Here are a few more shots of what they would carry. Now, when I say "THEY" I do not mean to address every single member of a Recon Team. Each individual and their Yards, Chinese Mercs (Nungs), NVA defectors, etc., etc., carried their own gear and indeed it did differ. For example, John and ordnance are with me on a Recon Team called RT New York. I would be in charge and probably would choose canteen pouches as a way to hold my 21 - 20 round magazines. John you may choose a BAR Belt to carry all of yours in and have a canteen pouch attatched to the bottom of the belt so that you could carry a dozen or V40's. Ordnance, you would carry the radio and would choose to use the straight issued "Universal" pouches and maybe two bandoliers around your neck and shoulders. The facts are that we carry as much ammunition as humanley possible. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 700+ rounds. Alot did over a 1000 (at least) when they would go into areas such as the A-shau Valley, Hotel-9 and Juliet-9 target areas.

In the photos of the maps they carried, in one you will see a bright area to the left of center. That is the A Shau Valley. In another one I have circled is the area of the "The Bra" region because of the way in which the river curls. This area was considered Juliet-9 and where most Recon Teams where deployed and never heard from them again.

Guys, I missed the maps and some other items. I'll post then tommorrow sometime.

Attachments

• SOG Gear Part 3 001.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 53
  • SOG Gear Part 3 012.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 012.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 33
  • SOG Gear Part 3 010.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 010.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 35
  • SOG Gear Part 3 009.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 009.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 38
  • SOG Gear Part 3 007.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 007.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 42
  • SOG Gear Part 3 005.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 005.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 38
  • SOG Gear Part 3 004.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 004.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 41
  • SOG Gear Part 3 003.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 003.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 43
  • SOG Gear Part 3 002.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 002.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Ordnance, you would carry the radio and would choose to use the straight issued "Universal" pouches and maybe two bandoliers around your neck and shoulders.

Damn! Why do I always have to hump the radio?!

Actually, I'm better suited to carry the grenade launcher. I look pretty stealthy in my boonie hat and can provide my own 40mm ammo.

Wow, $800 for an XM58. CS grenade. Now that's an insane price. But an M56 frag grenade sold on eBay a couple years ago for $1600, so who knows what the market will bear?

Rick

Attachments

• Austrailian%20Tracker%20Dog%20with%20M79.jpg
    Austrailian%20Tracker%20Dog%20with%20M79.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 47
  • PICT0501.JPG
    PICT0501.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 91
I see that we have a perfect SOG Warrier with that 1000 yard stare. He has the look like he just got back from Juliet-9.

Wow, I am impressed with your INERT 40mm grenade collection. How long did it take to get that far in your collection?

Actually, I'm better suited to carry the grenade launcher. I look pretty stealthy in my boonie hat and can provide my own 40mm ammo.

Wow, $800 for an XM58. CS grenade. Now that's an insane price. But an M56 frag grenade sold on eBay a couple years ago for $1600, so who knows what the market will bear?

Rick

Great collection of 40mm grenades Rick! I see that you have some nice sectioned ones there too.

Darren

Hi, I tried not to comment, but 'ell the M56 was mine (see photo). It's probably the nicest gren I've sold, but I needed to fund my No 74 (from a Spanish friend who will remain nameless:tinysmile_twink_t2:). The person who bid $1600 backed out of the transaction, as he claimed there was an issue with Polish customs. I ended up selling it to a chap in the US for around $700, which I thought was still a good price. Cheers

Rick

Attachments

• m56 all.jpg
    m56 all.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 38
Colin,

Thanks for filling in some background information on your M56 grenade auction. I'd made a mental note about it just because it was such a beautiful example and fetched such a surprising price. Being primarily focused on American grenades, I don't think I could have parted with one that nice.

But I can understand the desire for a nice No.74 too, as there still isn't an example in my collection that's complete with the covers. Or a Mk II type either.

Thanks to Darren and Mark for the compliments on the 40mm collection. These have evolved into a specialty of mine after 40 years of gathering. In recent years they have become much harder to find and harder to trade away for other grenades too.

With apologies for the lack of organization when the photos were taken, here are a couple more drawers of 25mm, 30mm, and 40mm grenade items.

Attachments

• PICT0502.JPG
    PICT0502.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0503.JPG
    PICT0503.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 45
Hi. You have some very nice 40mm's there. Any chance of a closeup of your HEDP M433 in section? I have one that I intend to cut up, once I get the internals for a PIBD M550. Cheers

Here is a carton of 40MM E24 CS Gas Rounds dated April 1968. Also a can that contained 2 Bandoleers of 40MM XM675 Red Smoke Dated January 1970. Not sure if these types would have been used by SOG as Fodder for the M79?

Attachments

• E24 40MM.jpg
    E24 40MM.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
  • XM675.jpg
    XM675.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 16
A US Antidisturbance Mine with 2 Sets of Instruction Sheets in both English and French Languages. The mine has no nomenclature markings or stampings and the instruction sheets contain no reference to the manufacturer or being US Issue Equipment.

Attachments

• AntiDisturbance 003.jpg
    AntiDisturbance 003.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 43
Still my favorite (Inert) SOG Related Grenades.

Attachments

• V4O's.jpg
    V4O's.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 23