What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOG Gear...

Interordnance,

SOG would carry nothing but High Explosive rounds for their M79. When they needed to use CS they would go to the CS grenades (M7A2-M7A3). The one thing that allot of guys did was to fill up one of their canteen covers with around a dozen or so V-40's. My favorite little grenade along with the M67. John Plaster told me once that he carried all M67's on his person in his gear. The reason why he did this was because they were so much more powerful then anything else they carried and that they were extremely loud under triple canopy jungle which if the enemy wasn't killed or wounded he was left stunned. This is so with the exception of the mortar rounds and LAW's, and M14 "Toe Popper's" that they would carry on a mission into Laos.

There where three types of Recon Teams that ran missions into N. Vietnam, Laos, and Camobodia.

1) Normal Team It has usually three Americans and 5-8 yards or chinese Mercenaries from Cholon. There where also some converted NVA and VC on the teams. Rare, but none the less true in some circumstances.

Anyhow, this was considered a "Normal Team".

2) Heavy Team This is usually three Americans and all of the Indig memebers, usually 3-5 more than a normal team. They carried a 60mm mortar with just a base similar to the the Japanese "Knee Mortar". Everyone carried around 3-4 rounds for the mortar. The rounds they carried were High Explosive with a couple of WP to break contact and run for their lives. There were usually 2-3 M60's also 2-3 RPD's with the barrels sawed of after the gas system, 3-4 drums each if they could. Get them. The RPD gunners also had to pick the belts of the gun to save. They became very scarce later in the late 60's. The Americans would carry, sometimes, a Browning Hi Power with around 3-5 magazines for that. You would also have a couple of Indigs (Chines Nungs, south Vietnamese who didn't want to serve in the South Vietnamese Army, etc., etc, who would carry the RPG-2 with some B-40's carried by almost everyone. The whole idea behind the "Heavy Team" was to have some extra shooters if found by the NVA or the Pathet Lao. It also made the enemy think twice about whether they were up against a small squad of R/T members or a Company sized element.

3) Bright light Team. The were a Company sized element that included 4-6 more Americans a whole compliment of Indigs, usually around 20-50, sometimes even 70 Indigs. These teems were absolutely armed to the teeth. Rations for one day and water for two days. This Team would be inserted into a target area whereby a pilot was shot down, or to rescuing an R/T that is about to be overunned. For example they were there when SSGT Franklin "Doug" Miller won his Medal Of Honor when they were down to a couple of them left, with Miller hit 2-3 times(?) and everyone else was either dead or to wounded to have any fight left in them.:frown: They were rescued by a Bright light team.

Some interesting codes were used to describe how the team was doing on the ground. From right before the drop off in the the twilight of the morning, Covey would fly around the area were the team was at about 5,000 feet to around 7,000 feet above them. He and his Recon Team Member did this until they ran out of gas, went back home to refuel, and were back over the Recon Team within 45-60 minutes. This team they called was Covey FAC. He was the SOG Recon Teams Angel and the only way to get out was through him.

Here is an audio of a two Recon Teams in dire straits:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...in_trouble.mp3 If you need anyhelp from in interpetation od what is going on ask and yea shall get it. John Plasters voice is all over this. In this tape people are dying and getting wounded. They are surrounded and about to be over runned. People are dead.

Kiwicolin,

Yep, this was yours at one time. Colin, I hope your are not regretting it my friend?:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Hi, No regrets. I picked up a number of them a few years back from a chap who had them mounted as book end. Ive swapped two and sold one, and may even have kept one for myself:tinysmile_classes_t. Cheers

John & Colin,

I am not sure who sold me the M67 and the M26 now. Darn, my memory isn't the place to go to my friends. I forget who was what.

More pictures of SOG to come tommorrow.

They look anything like these:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Attachments

• 4 swap.jpg
    4 swap.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 33
NOTE:
On one the maps you will find one with two circles on it. The one that circled with pencil is Dollar lake. On the other circle is around is the "Bra" section. Created with the borders of the river that runs through it. This was a very dangerous, extremely dangerous area to be in if you're a SOG "Recon Team Leader". This area was called Hotel-9 I believe. Estimates vary from 10,000 to 30,000 NVA there. We would drop off teams there and Juliet-9 and the "Golf Course" and they gave a tean "OK" and the choppers left and the Team was never seen again. Kinda spooky.

The other two places that are shown is the "Golf course" and the opther would be of a long stirp of light color almost a light Gray. This the area called the A-Shaul Valley. This valley was were a certain section of NVA on the mountain attacked American Troops. It was called the I Drang Valley which is just inside of a part of where their is another valley that was deeper in the I Drang Valley. The A-Shaul Valley was a place that every Recon Team Leader knew for that if they were comprimised they were going to loose some guys. This area along with Juliet-9 is where we lost more teams than anywhere else.

Who would replace these men who were lost forever? Well around 1967 they started to use people from the Rangers and other Special Forces people who knew that their was this "TOP SECRET NO FORN LIMDIS" work to be done.

This is all the prospectives were given in a classified small Briefing at Nha Trang. Those who wanted to try it out first moved up to the top, whereby the others who wanted some more questions answered were out the door. The ones that basically said yes were sent by Blackbird (modifed C130 for use by SOG only) to various bases that were called Forward operating bases (which were for SOG's eyes only). There is where the really got the debreifing here and had to sign a classified paper that they would not divulge any information to anybody else or they would be treated in Leavenworth to years of hard labor then be officially Court Martialed after their had had served a few years in a place where they make small rocks out of big ones

BY the way, ask me why there is a Russian Star on the front?

The other picture is of a battery fed Metascope, dated 1967. It is basically a Infrared Scope with an attached IR Illuminator. Still works perfectly like the day it was the first one manufactered.

By the way guys I tried 16 trys to get these pictures of the maps but it is an absoluetly female dog!!!!!

Would anybody like to know the titles of various SOG books that are around. Some are gone for good, Like most of mine are. There are still the top three that are still available though.

Attachments

• SOG Gear Part 3 011.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 3 011.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 11
  • SOG Gear Part 4 001.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 001.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 10
  • SOG Gear Part 4 005.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 005.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 9
  • SOG Gear Part 4 012.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 012.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 10
  • SOG Gear Part 4 007.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 007.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 18
  • SOG Gear Part 4 014.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 014.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9
  • SOG Gear Part 4 015.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 015.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 11
  • SOG Gear Part 4 009.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 009.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 10
  • SOG Gear Part 4 016.jpg
    SOG Gear Part 4 016.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 13
By the way did anyone listen to that " Praire Fire" recording? If you did, and cannot make out who is what and what are they saying, I can help if need be or I can tell you what is what to. Either way if you have any questions PM me or put it on this thread. There are absolutely no dumb questions here guys. SOG was a very confusing Operational way of kicking the NVA from where he least expected. But there would be hell to pay for making contact if it couldn't be avoidable.

Always looking for a good read on SOG, having been fairly close with their ops during my first war. And becasue of follow on EOD assignments I got to work with a lot of secret squirrel items. I read the frist part of this post about firing a M-34 on a standard M-14 rifle launch adapter from the M-16 - sorry didn't happen couldn't happen. At the time there wasn't a 5.56 greande launcher cart, and even if there was the weight of the 34 compared to the various frag grenades made it just o heavy. Years later the bullet trap system for the M-16 and other 5.56 rifls came about, here you would fire a standard ball 5.56 into the launcher, the launcher would catch the bullet but the forward forces would carry the grenade on to a fairly decent distance. However the tests were used mostly ont he Mecar rifle grenades.

If you want to see real SOG secret squirrel stuff, you need to look at the Swimmer Weapons System, the 3801 gear and the 308 special devices. These were items that mostly came from China lake, I recently got a newly declassified doc onthe 308 devices (all of which were leave behind explosive boobytraps).

I also got a doc on why astrolite G was never accepted (hyrazine can be a nasty dangerous chemical), still looking for a doc I picked up at the last RVN 75th Infantry (Rangers) reunion that is full of myths that bar room SpecOps wanta bee's always seem to tell.

Have to disagree with you on this one. The Marines used both grenades for firing off the end of the M16A1 and the M-14. SOG memebers would fire the M16A1 with the M34 in the holder. There is plenty of proof out there that this happened. You might be careful about using the terms, never, ever, couldn't happen. Not sorry to say that this is the truth. Take it or leave it. If you really are interested in SOG, read some good books about it. I find or should I say know of a place called SOAR held in Vegas every year.