What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Hotchkiss etc.

Gspragge

Premium Member
Some new Hotchkiss types, notes on the image. The German is a wartime production of the standard commercial Gruson projectile from the 1880s. This was more or less replaced in 1897 in German Service by the Maxim design. In 1915 Old Revolving Cannon were issued in a panic for front line use and these were either in commercial stock and rushed into service or made up in a hurry. The finish is not as good as the prewar version. The fuze is dated 1915. There is a wad and spacer to make up for the reduced amount of propellent used versus the old black powder load.

The two practice Hotchkiss came out Japan. One is inscribed with a shrine inscription. Very little of the Hotchkiss 37mm ammunition in Japan is marked, so this inscription is the only way to indicate it was there once it is here. My feeling is that Japan bought Hotchkiss ammunition off the shelf and it was not marked. I think that the few marked projectiles that have shown up were purchased for reloading purposes and went into the arsenal system versus navel magazines and onto ships. The ones in the Arsenal reloading system (however that worked) were marked and inspected, likely never had fuzes as these are always missing from the marked examples, the fuzes being stored separately and never likely were put into casings. That's my theory, (Thin at one end, Thick in the middle and Thin at the other end.) Coiled Hotchkiss cases are in Japan, several noted in images along with a variety of captured Russian and German rounds. No drawn Hotchkiss cases noted yet, but that means nothing. If they were there, they were likely used up and or recycled---

The copper banded Hotchkiss are very difficult to find, I suspect they are late manufacture and while I don't know why they were made, it might make sense to use copper in the Automatic Hotchkiss gun with a single barrel as the wear would I think be less. Maybe a real ammo tech. can comment on this. Being softer they take a real beating over time as the band is thin metal over ribs not solid like every one else's. There is no attempt to make the solid shot equal the weight of the other two and it is heavier, perhaps the loading was stronger in these ?

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: