What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something a little different... Anyone seen one of these???

MissingSomething

Hey all, has anyone seen any documentation on one of these?

Looks British for the different versions of .303 cartridges.

Its 2 sided and has MK. VII ammo on one side and MK. VI on the other.
Any input is appreciated...

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Hi It looks like some kind of range finder for British 303 ammunition? for anti aircraft use

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee Fuzeman, you were quick to spot that. How was that?

Nice bit of Brass though!!!!!

Hi John
My job is Quality control , not that that has anything to do with it ,did you go to the reunion last weekend in York?

Unfortunately not as I now teach EOD at Luffenham and unable to get much time. I would like to get up there sometime EDEN CAMP to help in the FFE of stuff if that is what they want and to show the junior members of our team the museum etc but I would need to put that through our bosses. Should not be a problem. Can you PM me the contact details for Fred?

Hi all, I was also going suggest that this may be a firing table for machine guns which in WW1 were used much like artillery. Often, they would group a large number of machinguns together, and fire indirectly. The goal was to deny the use of a patch of ground between the range of rifle fire (direct fire) and artllery (indirect fire).

Cheers,

Greg

I think that is it exactly --

and using the cord placing this on the gun it would allow you to get the desired elevation a very simple range quadrant - if the opposing range tables are reversed then the notch at one end is for one kind of 303 and the opposite notch the other. The cord and weight might be easier to use in darkness as any form of illumination would draw fire.

Looks like what was called a stadia. In the U.S. in the 1860s sergeants or marksmen could be issued a brass plate with graduated markings and a cord with a small ball on the end. By placing the ball in your mouth and holding the plate away with the cord extended, the distance to target could be found by comparing to graduations. Listings for men on foot or mounted were included.
This plate reminds me of that.

OK, here is what I found out:

You lucky bugger!! What you have is the fore-runner to the Vickers MG slide rule. The brass disc is held to the eye and the line is stretched to arms length and you sight through the vee. The later slide rules had moving scales that could be used for direct comparision, whereas your one would have to be judged off the scales stamped on the brass. A very nice item that would be right at home in my MG collection, should you wish to dispose of it!
grin.gif
The slide rules were introduced to replace the old range tables, but were complicated to use. The Vickers dial sight replaced them to a large degree. I have seen no reference to your range plate in any book, but it is obvious what it is when compared to the later slide rules which were first introduced about 1923. Your range plate was probably made during WW1, but not an official issue item.