What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Somme trip

arcticfox

Quick question I'm off to France next week with wife and family and I don't know the rules on spent munitions u find I won't be digging anything up but I found for instance some empty rifle cases are u allowed to keep or not.

Regards
jordon

Hello

Not allowed to search/dig on the battlefield with a metal detector.

You'll see perhaps along the streets some live rounds (big shells, bombs, grenades..) waiting the eod .

You'll find on the battlefield a lot of metal (bullets, shrappnell, rifle cases,cans...)

Great probability to find militaria in many flee markets of many villages .

___

Rules of France

Arcticfox, I know zippo about the rules, but sure as hell wish I were going with you. Good luck on finding stuff. I've been told there are a lot of spent artillery fuzes lying about, but hope you find what you're after. If you have a camera please take some snaps and share your trip with other members. I just love reading about people still finding stuff on the old WW1 battlefields. Tread lightly as the battlefields are mass burial sites so in respect of those who laid down their lives be careful...Dano

Quick question I'm off to France next week with wife and family and I don't know the rules on spent munitions u find I won't be digging anything up but I found for instance some empty rifle cases are u allowed to keep or not.

Regards
jordon
Hi A word of caution as i lost all my relic ordnance due to (as the french customs said) I did not have a permit to export War material even though it was all british bits and peices and inert and the french museums do sometimes have for sale stalls Well they did in Albert and they didnt give any receipts
to prove it was legitamataly purchased.

Belgium however is a lot more liberal about such things:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Best phil

I won't be diggin for stuff out of respect for the fallen heros but more along he lines if I was on a walk with the family and found a few spent shells or casing then I might be intersted about making a little plac to honour the fallen.