What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spigot Mortar fuse box

roller63

Premium Member
Here's a picture of an old wooden box for Spigot Mortar fuses, after the interest I had in my post about the Home Guard weapon the Smith gun, I might just put a post together on the Spigot Mortar too, perhaps over Christmas when my wife is playing with her Nintendo DS that Santa may have got for her (hope she does'nt read this !) and then if I get keen, maybe some info on the Northover projector. Tony.
MVC_291S.JPG

If members can't wait till after Christmas for one of Roller63's excellent articles then there is some very good information on the Spigot Mortar and Northover in Britain at War magazine issue's 1 & 2.

Heres a picture of the cartridge for the practice bomb converted from a 20mm Madsen case.

AAA_spigot.jpg

Just recently acquired two No. 283 base fuzes for the Spigot Mortar bombs, one solid Drill and one sectioned, pics to follow. Any diagrams, pics etc would be appreciated. Tony.

Spigotry

Just recently acquired two No. 283 base fuzes for the Spigot Mortar bombs, one solid Drill and one sectioned, pics to follow. Any diagrams, pics etc would be appreciated. Tony.

You probably have this.

Attachments

• Fuze 283.jpg
    Fuze 283.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 69
  • TreeSpigot.JPG
    TreeSpigot.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for this N, would I be right thinking the first image is from the G&P poster ? Tony.

Thanks for this N, would I be right thinking the first image is from the G&P poster ? Tony.
Yes, that's right Tony. The second is of the SOE Tree Spigot which was developed by Clarke (MD1 and ES6) essentially from Blacker's Bombard. I can prattle on about it if you have the need.

Please do on my account, I'm quite familiar with the std Spigot Mortar and ammunition but know little about this version. Tony.

Fuze 283

An 'official' drawing of the 283.

Attachments

• Fuze 283-1.jpg
    Fuze 283-1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 76
Thanks again, by studying the diagrams I now know why my fuses have black sticky residue on thier bases from the rubber pads.