What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spigot ... Vietnam

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Dia: 140-MM
Length: 726-MM
Length of just the Body: 562-MM

Attachments

• ICE-JV-413-2.JPG
    ICE-JV-413-2.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 24
  • ICE-JV-413-6.JPG
    ICE-JV-413-6.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 24
  • ICE-JV-413-11.JPG
    ICE-JV-413-11.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 24
This is a VietCong recoiless rifle round. In mid to late 60s they were found along rivers and streams, but also used in the attack. Thewre were models that used dud US 105mm rounds. These used the same propelling system as the B 50 did.

Type. This is a fin stabilized, antipersonnel projectile mounted on a wooden stick. The projectile is

probably fired from a recoiless rifle launcher. A delay fuze is used with this projectile.

Painting and Markings.

Features.

Three circumferential grooves are cut in the base end of the stick. An end cap is nailed on

the base of the stick.

DESCRIPTION.

Material. The projectile body and fins are steel. The stick is wood. The windshield of the fuze is sheet

metal, and the fuze body may be aluminum or steel.

Weight. The projectile with fuze weighs approximately 45 pounds.

Arrangement. The internal arrangement of the projectile can be that of typical U.S. 105-mm projectiles. The fuze consists a Viet Cong firing mechanism and windshield.

Hazardous Components

The body of the projectile is filled with approximately 5 pounds of composition. The fuze utilizes a blasting

cap as a detonator, and granulated TNT (quantity unknown) as a booster. The quantity and composition

of the materials in the safety fuse and primer are unknown. An auxiliary detonating fuze (ADF) containing a 25-gram tetryl booster may be present.

Arming and Firing Function

The safety wire is removed from the fuze prior to firing. Upon setback, the striker overcomes the

anticreep spring and strikes the percussion primer which, in turn, ignites the safety fuse. After a 5- to

7-second delay, the safety fuse ignites the blasting cap, initiating the explosive train.

If you can find a copy of "NORTH VIETNAMESE AND VIET CONG MANUFACTURED AND IMPROVISED MUNITIONS", by Michael E. Weber, it has extensive coverage of this type of weapon. I hesitate to post my copy for 2 reasons- One, it is copyrighted, even if there is no date, and two, Mr. Weber obviously did an extensive amount of research and hard work to produce it. He deserves any recompense from it. I can't for the life of me recall where I got it. I was at least before 2016, which is the date I've got on it. Any advice?

Upon refection, I remembered the author being part of a Facebook group og Grenade Collectors, of which I was a part. I left Facebook about 5 years ago. If I recall correctly, the copyright was so that no one could print it and claim it as their own. It was given by him to a group of kindred souls. I believe he would approve. They are both about 20mb, so I will try to upload them to the library.