What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SS DWM 1938 Mauser cases

Dominik

Dear members of the forum,

in some exchanges with fellow metal detectorists I have happened to obtain these fired Mauser cases, used by SS at training facilities here at Czechia. They are marked 1938 DWM SS (it's different kind than 1939 DWM SS-TV) and, except few partly cleaned, are in dug condition.

I don't collect war artifacts, so I would like to sell them or exchange for coins - medieval or older. I have only rough idea of it's value, previously I have read some 100/pc, which is too much imo. So I would put it to some 50 for the best ones, damaged cheaper, also discount on more pieces. There are 20 of them.

Regards and good luck!
Dominik, dominik.franek(at)gmail.com

Attachments

• nboje xx 6.jpg
    nboje xx 6.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 114
  • nboje xx 1.jpg
    nboje xx 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 72
  • nboje xx 2.jpg
    nboje xx 2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 89
  • nboje xx 7.jpg
    nboje xx 7.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 58
Ditto I afraid,I would have to think very hard about paying that for a nice unused one!

Tony

50 pound for rubbish?

Good luck selling them!

Dont be so rude, please. Everybody can ask what they want and rest just can say no, thanks. Real price for a complet round with fired primer are 20-25 euro, 50 Pound per just a fired case you will never sell one.

How much would be a complete live unfired round? I don't have any for sale but just a question.

I believe I paid 80 euro for my complet set some years ago.

Attachments

• SSTV 1.jpg
    SSTV 1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 70
  • SSTV 2.jpg
    SSTV 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 69
  • SSTV 3.jpg
    SSTV 3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 115
There exist 3 different head stamps.

The one you showed is the most common one. The problem is this is not a military head stamp. These guys must buy there stuff on the free market.

A friend described it this way;

This is not an official military cartridge, but a civil order of the SS. They had to pay at this time for their weapons and ammunition there selves. The change came in 1939, then the SS had access to the Czech and Slovak factories and "made use of it",

For the captured weapons they specially made "S"-Cartridges, which harmonized with their looted weapons like the VZ24. Since it eliminated the need for its own production for the SS from self-paid goods there was no need after 1939 ordering ammunition by German factories

Later as the WaffenSS was more or less integrated in the Wehrmacht they were armed with ammunition and supplies by army channels. The captured weapons of the SS were then passed on to "brother peoples" and adopted the standard armament of the WH, with some exceptions for special weapons.

The market is overthrown with this kind of cases. If you get 5 Euro for a case you make a good deal.

@Tmine35

Just to give you an idea.
The 1938 DWM in unfired good condition 70-90 Euro
The original loaded blank 33, 250-300 Euro.
The 1939 head stamp as heavy ball, 500-XXX.

Rgds
Dutch

Attachments

• sS1.jpg
    sS1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Thanks for reply!

Hey guys,
thanks a lot for your replies, now I have some idea, I really didn't have much info on the prices.
So if anyone is interested, you can send me some offer and we can talk about it ;) Still I would prefer an exchange for coins though, you have some nice ones in Britain.

Hi!
Sounds like you know the marked wery good. A quick question:
What would a complete 15 round box of DWM 1938 SS, with label, in mint condition be worth -and where would be the best place to sell it?
Thanks.

Could be worth a lot, and there are many places to sell it. The big question would be authenticity. I'm not sure if anyone has eve documented what you are describing, so there will be many questions about it. This is a good spot to post pictures to let people discuss and evaluate it. If legit, I'm sure you will have no trouble selling the box and its contents.

Hi guys. Thanks for the input.
There are no questions regarding authenticity, as these came directly from the german ammunition stores, when the war ended.
So with that in mind I'm a bit reluctant to let too many "know it all" amateurs discussing the authenticity. (Hope I'm not offending anyone! If so, I'm sorry!) Having said that, I would not mind at all having them evaluated by some experts in the field. I'll mail the authors of Die Patrone 7,9 der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1930 - 1945, (WINDISCH / MICKE / KELLNER) if I can get their e-mail addresses. Any other tips on who is regarded experts on this (and their addresses)?
Thanks!

"There are no questions regarding authenticity, as these came directly from the german ammunition stores, when the war ended."

Unless you have a pic of yourself in 1945 actually taking the box out of a case, there are always questions. Oh, and I'll try not to feel insulted, but you might want to consider broadening your attitude. You are new here and you really don't know the personalities who might be reading and replying to your posts. Good luck with your box.

"you might want to consider broadening your attitude. You are new here and you really don't know the personalities who might be reading and replying to your posts"

Hi again.
Again, I'm sorry if i offended anyone. Not my intention at all. As you said, I'm new here and don't know who is reading the posts.
But like I said, if you could refer me to whoever is considered to be experts in the field, it would be very much appreciated.

And again back to the question of authenticity. As you correctly stated "there are always questions". For me, however, it's irrelevant (until I one day decide to sell or trade the ammunition, etc) -as I was only curious to the value and the best plase to sell such an item (depending ofcourse on an future unquestionable independent authentification).

Best regards