What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star shells

Hi
Afflicted correction here my observation and measurements of my relic shell concerned:
The gauge in bottom of grooves (32 on the whole) thus is 77.3 mm not for 7.62 cm

Resurrecting this old thread, I believe I have found details of the gun that used the star shell in the original post.

I have attached pictures of the pages from the Waffen Revue magazine and I have made an attempt to translate the original German text (couldn't work out how the words in red translated). If I am right then I only need to find the correct case for it!!

20201002_102305.jpg20201002_102514.jpg20201002_102340.jpg20201002_102716.jpg20201002_102817.jpg

Krupp 7.5cm Submarine Cannon

With the invention of the submarine as a weapon of war, the question of adequate armament soon became acute. The first German submarine, S.M.U 1, entered service on December 12, 1906, and just under eight years later, World War I broke out. En mPones did not have much time to develop and test suitable guns.

The requirements at the time for a cannon that offered the least water resistance even for a larger caliber and yet had to be ready to fire quickly were not so easy to meet. And yet the German “Watfenschmiede Krupp" succeeded in constructing a gun that the Artillery Monthly Bulletins reported in 1914 as follows:

The 7.5 cm submarine cannon is a 7.5 cm caliber gun that has a relocatable carriage to reduce the water resistance during the dive.

Its weight is 860 kg. When not in use, it rests in a storage space between the upper deck and the pressure hull, in which it is laid backwards. The storage space can be moved through the lid and, when closed, can only be identified by the slight elevation of the fixed pivot base, which does not offer any appreciable resistance to the water (Fig. 1).

When the gun is raised and lowered, the base rotates around a bearing located on the lower edge of the fixed base. To open the door, only one bolt has to be loosened after opening the lid (Fig. 2), after which, due to the action of spring accumulators, it automatically goes into the firing position (Fig. 3). It becomes this position (Fig. 4) held by spring bolts that fall into the catches of the sentence. These bars are released again for laying down. The kiarma chen of the gun including attachment of visor and shoulder rest takes 20 seconds. The stowage including removal of these parts takes up this time.

The tube equipped with a drop block lock is made of heavy-duty nickel steel, so that it can be stowed in the above-mentioned, non-watertight lockable space when underwater. The cradle encloses the cylindrical part of the tube and rests with the two horizontal shield pins in the bearings of the cradle carrier. The brake cylinder, which also houses the return spring, is arranged on the cradle. The brake piston rod is screwed to a horn on the base of the tube and thus takes part in the return. On the left side of the cradle there is a sleeve in which the holder of the shoulder piece is fastened.

The cradle consists of the fork-shaped part, which protrudes towards the rear like a crane, with the shield trunnion bearings and the pivot spigot. As the pictures show, the tube is directed vertically upwards before being laid down and held in this position by a spring latch. For this reason and in order to make the gun suitable for ball and aircraft defense, the upper part of the cradle has the shape described, which allows large increases (Fig. 6). The pivot base has the shape of a column. At the top it carries the pivot pin bearing, at the bottom it widens to a box that was used to hold the hinge pin and the spring latch. The spring accumulators attach at the lower end. The shoulder piece, consisting of a handle ladder and a cushion for the shoulder, is attached with its upper end to the pin of the holder attached to the cradle. In this position, the shoulder piece is used to aim the gun when shooting with small elevations (Fig. 5), i.e. when used against enemy submarines and the like. When shooting with large elevations, against aircraft, the shoulder stock is rotated by 180 ° and placed on the holder (Fig. 6), whereby the handgrip and the pad come back in a position comfortable for the gunner. Before putting down the gun, the shoulder piece must be removed and stowed in the boat's interior.

The visor sits on the left arm of the weighing truck, extended upwards like a console. It has a panoramic angled telescope with an active prism head that can be rotated to the side and to the side. It is connected to the cradle's shield pin on the one hand by the handlebars and on the other hand can be adjusted by the visor adjuster in terms of height and traverse. There is no movement of the eyepiece when aiming. Before the gun is put down, the telescope is removed and housed inside the boat. The firing is carried out by means of a lever mounted on the shoulder piece holder, which the directional gunner operates with the left hand, while grasping the grip of the shoulder piece with the right hand and leaning against the cushion with the right shoulder. Three men are provided to operate the gun, the gunner, the gunner and the gunner. If necessary, the gunner can also take over the loading.

Attachments

• Krupp 7.5cm Submarine gun.docx
    13.1 KB · Views: 4
Klar machen = preparation
Waffenschmiede = gunsmith

Nearly right, but "Klar machen" means "to ready" the gun for firing. The large Krupp Steel Industries were at that time (WW2) nicknamed "The German Gun Forge". A "Waffenschmiede" is a "Gun-Forge" and a gunsmith is a "Waffen-Schmied". But, I'm agreeably surprised about the very good translation by @burney davis.
Bellifortis.