What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steel based 3.7cm German FlaK cases???

christhurston

Premium Member
Hello All,
Another member recently enquired about a steel based 3.7cm FlaK case that he has,he didn't follow up on his initial query,but as this topic is of interest to me,here goes!!

I have,so far,only seen images of 3.7cm PaK cases that are brass with a steel base,were FlaK cases also produced like this? Either way I'm assuming that this was an interim step in the change from brass to steel case production,or was there some other reason for the bimetal construction?

It might,of course,be a high altitude FlaK case that was being enquired about,if so,did these also have the three different case types? It could well turn out that I'll have quite a few different variations to look out for!!!

Happy New Year Everyone

Hey,

I don't remember ever seeing a steel based 3,7 cm FlaK case and I do not have any documentation on such a case.
There are, however, a number of different types of 3,7 FlaK casings, I know off all brass and brass plated steel types, but there are a few more types than just those (I think I recall an anodized/phosphated steel type as well and there may have been a laqcuered steel type, but more knowledgable people then I should be able to help out on this subject).

I am pretty confident that a steel based case, as per 3,7 cm PaK, did not exist for the 3,7 cm FlaK as well.

greetz,

Menno.

I haven't got one now but I'm sure I've had them in the past. Before that I also had a steel 30mm RmB Mk 108 cannon case - ex Me 262. Shame I didn't keep photos but I'm not a case collector.

John

Many thanks Menno,I did think that the steel base only seemed to be shown on PaK cases,I've not seen enough of them to be sure about that though.

I've only just started to add 3,7cm FlaK rounds to my collection,and although I'm most partial to brass cased types I'll need to include the steel versions to complete the display,and as you have said they were made with various coatings.I'd probably best stick to just the one,whichever I come across first.

Hopefully,the last addition or two will be the BK variety,I'll gladly settle for ubung projectiles,anything else would be too much to hope for!!!

Regards Chris.

As far as I know,John,the MK108 case was only made in steel,it's a pity you didn't hang onto it,I could really do with one for my nicely restored HE projectile!!!

As far as I know,John,the MK108 case was only made in steel,it's a pity you didn't hang onto it,I could really do with one for my nicely restored HE projectile!!!

Sorry Chris, I sold it a while back. If I see another one I'll get it. The first one I had was picked up very cheaply and I sold it on quite cheaply too!

John

3.7cm Pak Case.

Hello there, I believe it was me that started the mystery about 3.7cm Flak cases with steel bases and brass bodies. Another chap has had a look at the case i have and he is sure its a 3.7cm PAK not Flak as i was originally told. Who knows for sure as there could have been oddities out there but id go with the second opinion as it seems right with an article by John Carlin on 3.7cm Flak and Pak rounds. Regards, Tim.

Well now,Tim,fancy starting such a rumour,the collecting world has been in turmoil !!! At least,my little bit of it has,if your case ever needs a good home I'll trade you something for it.I'm afraid that I can't send you my spare 3.7cm AP projectile,it's the FlaK type !!!
Regards Chris.