What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steel bullet ???

paul the grenade

Hi All. I found this battered bullet years ago in the south of france. It seems to be made of steel or something similar. No copper jacket.
I thought it might be a steel core from a bigger round but it has rifling marks on the body. its about 7.62 calibre i think.
Any ideas??
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• steel bullet.jpg
    steel bullet.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 44
  • steel bullet 4.jpg
    steel bullet 4.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 34
Are you sure it's steel and not copper? French 7,5mm MAS rounds had a solid copper bullet, we find them plenty here from burned German WW2 storages.

Hi Tmine. You are right. ive just scraped it with a knife and what i thought was a rusty surface has revealed a nice shiney copper.
Many thanks, Paul.:tinysmile_grin_t:

8mm

The bullet is a "Balle D" for the 8mm Lebel, not for the 7.5mm MAS. That round used a normal composite bullet with jacket and lead core.

Regards
TonyE

Try giving the base of the bullet a rub over with a brass wire brush if you have one. These bullets usually had markings on the base, including a date and manufacturer's initials.