What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stick Grenade Handle

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. Has anybody had any luck trying to straighten these wooden handles? I was thinking about making up some sort of steam box. Cheers

Attachments

• stick gren.jpg
    stick gren.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 74
I have repaired seriously flattened M24 handles succesfully. I boiled them in water a while and when soft put in a suitable rigid jig and let dry some weeks. Negative point is that the stamped markings may come up and disappear when boiling/steaming.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Its good to know it can be done. Ive not used a steam box before, but from what Ive read on the Internet I thought Id make up a waterproof box that did not allow water to get near the top stampings. From what I can make out I need to soak the handle over night, then steam it for 1.5 hours and put it in a jig. As you say, best leave it for a couple of weeks until completely dry. Cheers

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It’s good to know it can be done. I’ve not used a steam box before, but from what I’ve read on the Internet I thought I’d make up a waterproof box that did not allow water to get near the top stampings. From what I can make out I need to soak the handle over night, then steam it for 1.5 hours and put it in a jig. As you say, best leave it for a couple of weeks until completely dry. Cheers

You need to soak the side that is the shorter side,, this is where the wood has dried out and shrunk thus pulled it into the bent shape. soaking may re-inrtoduce the missing moisture and let it straighten up ,, a nice handle and would try this
before a full sauna job!

Best Regards nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your advice. I’ve not made a start on the handle yet, as I’m still designing the type of jig I should be using. I’ll try the one sided soak first, before I get too carried away with more aggressive intervention. Cheers

Hi... wet it here with cotton weoll and warm water, keep wetting it and wee if it regaind its moisture and goes straigh again,,
keep us posted please..

Best Regards nick

p.s nice stampings,, dnt loos them nice ans clear :)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your advice. Ive not made a start on the handle yet, as Im still designing the type of jig I should be using. Ill try the one sided soak first, before I get too carried away with more aggressive intervention. Cheers

Attachments

• stick%20gren 2.JPG
    stick%20gren 2.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 26
Hi Nick. Now thats what you call intervention. Fortunately I checked BOCN for any further advice, as the jug was boiling in preparation for half submerging the handle in boiling water. Ive made a rudimentary press and had planned to submerge the lower half of the handle, whilst applying pressure to the highest point on the opposite side of the stick. I still think the idea has merit, but will selectively apply the boiling water as you suggest. Theres about a millimeter gap between the top plate and the handle at the head end of the stick. Im picking if I can get the pressure plate to touch the handle at that point, itll be straight enough. Ill keep you informed of any progress. Cheers

Attachments

• press.jpg
    press.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 43
Now I know youre not meant to take it out of the jig until its had a couple of weeks to dry, but I just had to see if any progress had been made. I secured it to the lower bed, so that it didnt move and I could reapply the pressure in a similar place. So far theres only been one small split emerge at the very end of the handle. I think this was more the result of the water making it swell than the pressure.

It looks to be a bit more presentable, so Ive stopped applying the boiling water and will let it dry completely before having another look.

Once it's dry, should I apply bees wax to it?

Cheers

Attachments

• handles.jpg
    handles.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 32
Hi. Thanks everyone for your advice. After a couple of weeks it has lost a lot of its banana look, without any splits or loss of stampings. Whilst not perfect, itll do me. Cheers

Attachments

• sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 31