What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stickers on German Helmets

toolong

How were those stickers made.
Were they water transferable decals, as we have now in model kits, were they painted on aluminium foil and then transfer onto the helmet?
I have found several stories contradicting each other. Can anybody give a clear picture on this small detail??

Thanks

Luc

nuffen waffen

It is my understanding that they are water transfer decals but better quality than you would find in a model kit. There are so many repros out there and many people who can age the stuff, beware of any "original" decaled helmet. I would rather buy a cheap shell, decal it myself and not have to worry about the fakes. If you're looking for repro decals try your favourite search engine and type in german helmet decals. Dano

Last edited:
Hi. Some decals were made as water slides and others had to be glued on. Cheers

Attachments

• 4 Heer Decals.jpg
    4 Heer Decals.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Helmet decal water slide.jpg
    Helmet decal water slide.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 4 Ed Strache Backs.jpg
    4 Ed Strache Backs.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 15
they were generaly applied to the still tacky paint and later a clear top coat just to that area,but not always top coated, waterslide transfers can scrath off with finger nail unlike the method 1st mentioned which is verry durable

Neighbour of mine found a helmet in the river next to his house a couple of years ago, it had been there in the water since they left the village. Although it was just a rusted shell - no liner etc, the remarkable thing was that the heer decal could still be seen - incredible.