What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stielgranate 41 for 37mm Pak 36 Antitank Gun

M8owner

My streak of good luck in finding excellent German WWII ordnance in the US continues with this addition to the collection. If you ever wondered if they would fit a US M3 gun, then the answer is, "Yes, they fit very well." Since I reload and shoot with this gun, I am now inspired to make a replica projectile and try firing it with a blank charge. Probably make it all out of PVC - no explosive charge.

The collector who had it said it was imported from Germany before 9/11. I am rather surprised by the crude construction - for a German item - and the lack of markings. The only markings are "OC" stamped on the nose cone and again on the warhead body.

The nose fuse is not correct. Does anyone have an AZ 5075 to spare?

Thanks,

Steve

stielgranate 41.jpg

Steve,

Nice find and interesting to see one fitted to an M3 gun. But if you are going to make up a replica to shoot, you should probably try the U.S.M.C. version.

Rickstick bomb data .jpgstick bomb data 2 .jpgstick bomb data 3 .jpgstick bomb data 4 .jpgstick bomb data 5 .jpg

Attachments

• stick bomb 2.jpg
    stick bomb 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 49
  • stick bomb.jpg
    stick bomb.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 67
  • stick bomb 3.jpg
    stick bomb 3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 40
That is so cool. I had no idea the US thought it was a good idea and copied it. Are there any US projectiles still in existence anywhere? Thanks Rick.

I'm terrible at using the search function on this site but I originally posted that data several years ago in response to an ID request after one was found on a range. I think it was at Camp Lejeune or another Marine Corps facility. No idea if it was destroyed or saved after that.

I'd like to think there are samples somewhere but I've never seen one in a museum or collection. Perhaps one exists at one of the Marine EOD shops where testing occurred as they seem to hold on to things longer than Army units, if Camp Pendleton is any indication.

Up till when I left in 2000, I know that none of the shops at Lejeune had one (Base, Platoon or MWSS at New River), but now that I think on it, it does look very familiar. Maybe Quantico or, as you said, Pendleton. Cheers, Bruce.

While doing research on Jap stuff around 2005-2008 I hit everything on the west coast, Pendleton, 29 Palms etc, everything on Okinawa and finally Quantico at both the unit and the museum, to include everything in museum storage. Nothing at any of them.

Found the original thread...

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/68966-Here-s-one-recently-found-on-a-Quantico-Range/page2

Looks like it was found at Quantico but the original images are now gone. The photos from the original inquiry were apparently first shown on Fragweb so if anyone has access to those forums, perhaps they can still access them.

Thanks for the personal observations. It's always nice to have multiple sets of prying eyes in the dark recesses of museums and EOD shops.

I was going to put these in the Archive thread, but they seemed relevant here. Apologies if I have posted them before, it is really getting hard to keep track.

1a.jpgT21 37mm  1.jpgT21 37mm  2.jpgT21 37mm  3.jpgT21 37mm  4.jpgT21 37mm  5.jpgT22 37mm  1.jpgT22 37mm  2.jpg

Fantastic post! Never even heard of that.
Steve remember now, if you make one for yourself you have to make one for everybody! :wink: You'll make a fortune!