What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stokes Mortar box

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, Has anybody got any drawings and dimensions of a Stokes Mortar box as i would like to make one.
Thanks in advance.
Andy

I have a dug box for 3 inch ammo with the three rounds that were in it, now inerted.

Last edited:
OK, here are photos. There are 29 pieces of wood, so if you need measurements it will take a while.

Attachments

• Tail End Rest.jpg
    Tail End Rest.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Nose End Rest.jpg
    Nose End Rest.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Lid off.jpg
    Lid off.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Fuzes and fuses.jpg
    Fuzes and fuses.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 61
  • fuze box open.jpg
    fuze box open.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Dug Box.jpg
    Dug Box.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Fuze box leaning.jpg
    Fuze box leaning.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 60
Thats a great box and thank you very much for posting the pics, if you can give me the external dimensions that will do and can i copy the pics please.
Cheers
Andy

I always think it's best to measure the internal dimensions and then if you use a different thickness of wood to make the crate the contents will still fit as designed.
Lovely box Hazord, might just make one myself....
Cheers
Gary

I always think it's best to measure the internal dimensions and then if you use a different thickness of wood to make the crate the contents will still fit as designed.
Lovely box Hazord, might just make one myself....
Cheers
Gary

A good idea Gary thanks for that :)
Cheers
Andy

Hi Hazord, if you could let me have the internal dimensions that would be great thanks.
Regards
Andy

Yes, I've been out of town. Will get a sketch together today with some more photos.

The much awaited additional info. The fuze box is pretty crude. The rope holes through the wood handles are 1/4" diameter. Dimensions in parenthesis are reference. Drawings not to scale.

Attachments

• End.jpg
    End.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Rope Holes.jpg
    Rope Holes.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 23
  • End Bottom.jpg
    End Bottom.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Fuze Box.jpg
    Fuze Box.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Fuze Box End.jpg
    Fuze Box End.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Fuze Box Front.jpg
    Fuze Box Front.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Fuze Box Bottom.jpg
    Fuze Box Bottom.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Fuze Box Dwg.jpg
    Fuze Box Dwg.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Crate Top Dwg.jpg
    Crate Top Dwg.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Crate Front Dwg.jpg
    Crate Front Dwg.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Projectile Rests.jpg
    Projectile Rests.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thank you very much Hazord for taking the time to do all that its much appreciated,
Best regards
Andy

You're welcome. Glad my box is of interest to others. Now you've got your work cut out for you. Post some photos when you get your new one completed.

Be sure to place the lid stiffeners and the bottom stiffeners at the proper distances apart, so that one box will stack on top of another box. The bottom stiffeners should straddle the top stiffeners with 1/2 inch to spare for clearance.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the box so far, just got the rope handles and small box to finish it off, I had some Ash and Oak so thought i would use that, a big thanks to Hazord for all his help with taken the time to messure his box for me,
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• stokes box 3.jpg
    stokes box 3.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 26
  • stokes box (2).jpg
    stokes box (2).jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 39