What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strang fins on german SD 50

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Is it a modification to increase space ?
Fins of the sd50 seem to have been reduced.
Any idea ?

German Bombs1.jpggerman bombs.jpg

They look like the whistles they place on the bomb fins so it makes a whistling noise as it falls from the air, designed to terrorise the populace who they are bombing, bit like the Stuka sirens in a dive.

They look like the whistles they place on the bomb fins so it makes a whistling noise as it falls from the air, designed to terrorise the populace who they are bombing, bit like the Stuka sirens in a dive.

Yes fins are fitted with whistles ("Jericho") but my question is about width of tail unit.
Maybe an optical effect but fins were usually wider

tail unit SC50 and SD50.JPG

Having a second look i think the fins are the same as normal, looks like the bomb in question is shown at a angle.

looks like an SD 70
No, it's an SD 50 - division line between the warhead and the tail fairing is pretty clearly visible, plus holes for bolts fixing the fairing.

On the other hand, it seems to be a regular SD 50 - and I can see nothing strange with its fins.

BombaSD50.jpg