What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange 37 x 140 R

Sorcerer

Hi,
in my collection I have this interesting old 37 mm round. Rim diameter is 52mm and case lenght 139,7mm.
Does anyone have any information about this round?

Attachments

• 37 x 140 R 01.jpg
    37 x 140 R 01.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 37 x 140 R 02.jpg
    37 x 140 R 02.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 132
Well -

The projectile looks Dutch , But the case is for the Gruson Casemate or Longer barreled Mountain gun.(or so it appears- I have to inquire further) The projectile for the case is a long Gruson PD. However as these were made for export anything might be possible. If the Dutch used this gun they might have used there own projectiles. Information is lacking for the late 1890s regarding Gruson 37mm.

Thank you very much for quick answer. I bought it some time ago in flea market, so the shellcase needn't be original in this case..
BTW this shellcase is a practice, instead of fuze is only zinc screw.

Projectile looks Dutch indeed, if you give me the measurements I can verify. Lead fuzes are also common for Dutch material.

Did the Dutch use

a casemate or quick fire gun in this caliber ? I believe this round is detailed in Roberts 37mm book as a Gruson export, but little is known. If the Dutch used a gun that fired this case then they might have bought the guns & cases and loaded their own projectiles. The lower band style makes it look like the First Dutch pattern projectile.

I will ask a Dutch collector. He normally knows this kind of stuff.