What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Japanese Mark 4 Antiamphibious Mine

JCB99

The Japanese had some unusual ideas in mine design. Or maybe, bad ideas. The Mark 4 is a strange one. This mine has two Type 3 ceramic mines internally as the main charge. It uses a Bakelite Type 3 fuze connected by strings to a rotating "spider" triggering mechanism. The mine was accepted but never actually produced. Check out the pics below. An example of this mine does exist. I found an internet military museum that has an actual Mark 4 in their collection. I can't recall the museum name or website address. I do remember it being misidentified. The caption below the picture describes the mine as a German naval mine. Interesting.

This mine is described on pages 43-44 in "Oriental and European (except British, French, German, Italian and Soviet) Mine Warfare Equipment" TM 5-223B Nov. 1953 Dept of Army.

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Wish I had this one in my collection. Experimental stuff is so hard to get.

Attachments

• Japanese experimental mine.jpg
    Japanese experimental mine.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0344.jpg
    DSCF0344.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0359.jpg
    DSCF0359.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0360.jpg
    DSCF0360.jpg