What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange object

adrinus

Hi there!
Wandering through some first line ww1 trenches in the Carpathians I stumble across this strange object that I cannot identify. It is manufactured of some kind of alloy and it has appx. 9cm in lenght (without the iron wire) and appx. 7-7.5cm in diameter at the base spiral.
The area was littered with shrapnel chunks, other sort of spent fuses and shrapnel diaphragms, the scene of heavy fighting.
Thankx in advance.

Attachments

• hh 128.jpg
    hh 128.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 106
Hey,

My guess would be a (telephone)cable guide ( looks like this could have been screwed into the side of a trench or into the earth) .

greetz,

Menno.

Hole Maker,

Could this (Auger ?)have been a tool for boring small holes in the ground so that mines or charges could be laid without the mining team being seen by the enemy,if say a "T" bar was fitted it could be used by a minelaying team while lying down,I would think it is the wrong shape to be a ground anchor unless other sections could be added so that it could penetrate deeper into the ground,whatever its use was it is very robust and is an unusual item,
Don,

Found an identical object in the book 'armi ed equipaggiamenti dell'esercito
italiano nella grande guerra' and it is described as a ground (or ice) anchor
for barbed wire entanglements.

Regards, Jan

http://www.westernfront.nl

Last edited:
Found an identical object in the book 'armi ed equipaggiamenti dell'esercito
italiano nella grande guerra' and it is described as a ground (or ice) anchor
for barbed wire entanglements.

Regards, Jan

http://www.westernfront.nl
Thankx for the replies guys. It can be a ground anchor for barbed wire (the area being filled with still surviving barbed wire portions), as super7 said.