What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange PIAT fuze

MissingSomething

Just got this off of Ebay in Australia. Just compairing it with the other fuzes I have.. definately different. Smaller container, fuze is a different size.... anyone ever seen anything like this... why is it so different...

IMG_4040_zps00c749dd.jpg

IMG_4041_zps9942524f.jpg

The Australian fuze is far right:
IMG_4044_zpsfabbd123.jpg

IMG_4048_zpsc0381e4a.jpg

Craig. They are transport or drill fuzes , I think . PIAT fuze carriers came in several different sizes . Mike

Looks to me like the no425 Percussion fuze used with the piat,as well as the longer no426 DA and Percussion

Drill version as pointed out by Siegfreid

Attachments

• piat  fuzes.jpg
    piat fuzes.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 112
MI/C - McKinnon Industries, St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada. From 1929 was a subsidiary of General Motors Corporation, Detroit. USA - During WWII there is very little they didn't make for the war effort.

S within hexagon - Schultz Die casting company (Wallaceburg, Ontario)? Canada

ICI/W - ICI Ltd, Westquarter, Glasgow, UK - ICI's detonator factory

TimG

Thanks guys... I didn't realize there was a shorter version of the fuze. There must be a different "cap" to go on the bombs themselves to accommodate the shorter fuze?

Thats a rare one for this part of the world, never seen container marked drill and painted blue, well done, here are all the examples i have left, tin fuse container and 2 other types with various fuses,,,,,,, Dave

Attachments

• HPIM7867.jpg
    HPIM7867.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 78
  • HPIM7869.jpg
    HPIM7869.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 73
  • HPIM7870.jpg
    HPIM7870.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 73
  • HPIM7871.jpg
    HPIM7871.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 103
Fuze No 426

Image 0009.jpg

For those interested in original paperwork this is a scan of the Ministry of Supply order placed on MD1 (Winston Churchill's Toyshop) for half a million 426 fuzes. MD1 designed and 'manufactured' the 426. I say manufactured but actually many companies were involved in the making of the parts that made up the fuze.

The 'free issue' to ICI would have been for filling.