What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Primer

ydnum303

Hi all,

Well, it's strange to me; - but dare say some of you out there can tell me all about it! It is screwed into a Mk.I 4.5" Howitzer case made by VSM. The primer looks nothing like the usual No.1 primer used in this case, and is stamped VSM Mk.G
2012_0308_4.5in HowMkG.Pri.jpg2012_0308VSM Mk.G.Pri.jpg It projects further into the case than the usual No.1 type. Have been unable to remove it so far, as in too tightly. Any information gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Roger.

Hi Roger.I think the primer is a commercially produced item. The 2Pdr equivalent is a Mk A.Possibly the case too, for a wartime foreign contract?? Note no WD arrow,or inspectors marks. Tig.

Strikes me as not a common item by any means - I would tend to agree with Tig, so who else used the 4.5 ? It's not for Canada or it would have the usual pile on of markings.

Thanks, Gentlemen,

I had noticed the lack of Broad Arrow, also a Lot Number, but it does have the "CF" mark! If it was a commercial contract, for whom would it be? I would have thought that by 1916 Vickers would have been flat out producing stuff for the war effort.

Tigbrand, I don't think I have ever seen a Mk.A primer. Any chance of a photo, please?

Regards,
Roger.

more strange primers, think they speak for themselves, but if anyone can give an idea who the end users were would be greatful.DSCF0379.JPG