What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange re-stamped and cut down WW1 cases

H

Hoeksel

Last year I found these 2 cases in Belgium. They are clearly cut down, and not very nicely. Case length is the same, 242 mm. Diameter ~ 74 mm and rim diameter 90 mm. Based on the measures of the cases and the fact one is originally German and 1 is originally Belgium (EP) I would think both are for the 75x277R90 Krupp field-gun from ~1900.

They are re-stamped (again, not very nicely) and contain many "marks" for re-use (is there a correct English word for these re-use "marks"?).

The primers have no stamp and in my opinion have a "belgium look" but that is only a feeling. I added a picture of the primer unscrewed.

So my obvious question is; what are these?!?!

My own "theory" is that these shell cases have been used as salute rounds since the irregular edges (result from the bad cut-down) would never allow a projectile. There is no question that Belgium is full of these cases, both German and Belgium made. Salute might also explain the amount of re-use marks and the re-stamping. Does this make any sense? What I do think is strange, assuming these are from Belgium, that I do not recall that in Belgium they actually use the marks for re-use.

Any help is appreciated!

In case the pictures are not clear, these are the stamps:

Case 1 original - EP 97
Case 1 re-stamp - 39 S and 2 re-use marks
Case 2 original - PATRONENFABRIK KARLSRUHE 1904
Cse 2 re-stamp - 24 37 and 10 re-use marks

Attachments

• Belgium cases.jpg
    Belgium cases.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 42
  • belgim case stamps.jpg
    belgim case stamps.jpg