What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

strange round thing

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
Hello, has anybody any idea what this could be? i got this question from Norway. no futher details only this picture. regards Ben

1085406_681213925240067_599764481_n.jpg

Some sort of diving bell possibly?

Just guessing. Hard to tell without some sort of scale.

Dave.

Look like a device like a sonar detector or so, lowered in the water or a probe to measure temperature, etc, attached to a buoy.

Hello, has anybody any idea what this could be? i got this question from Norway. no futher details only this picture. regards Ben
Being from Norway myself, I'm curious about this... I'm pretty knowledgable in regards to underwaterweapons (torpedoes in particular), but I can't identify this... I don't recognice the location either (although the buildings reminds me of the RNoN/RNoAF basic training-camp in Stavanger, or perhaps the NATO-HQ at Ulsnes).
Do you know where the photo was taken (then I can investigate further)?

It's hard to tell, but the emblem on the left might have a german flag? That could indicate it's a german weaponsystem, perhaps a type of mine or similar previously stored at the german NORDEP-facilites (for instance at Rennesy outside Stavanger)?

Anyway: You should give your friend some basic lectures in photography... ;-)

I don't think this is a weapon. Looks like a diving bell to me, or cockpit part of a salvage sub. Would need dimensions though.

Found this pic of a one man sub with torpedo attached. The nose of the "sub" has a similar hole pattern It was WW2 German.

one man torpedo (535x429).jpg

Last edited:
As I see it, this object probably has a diametre of around 40-70cm, ie nothing like a diving bell or a submarine. A torpedo warhead could be a candidate, but the lifting-eye and the object on the underside eliminates that as a possibility.
I think a mine is the most obvious answer - like for instance, a post-war parachute or submarine-mine of cylindrical shape (like those being stored at the NORDEP-facilities).

Found this pic of a one man sub with torpedo attached. The nose of the "sub" has a similar hole pattern It was WW2 German
No. As you can see from the attached photos, the nose of the Neger is very different.

(although the buildings reminds me of the RNoN/RNoAF basic training-camp in Stavanger
Well, I knew it was familiar, and I was correct in my suspicion :)

The attached aerial photo shows the object (red circle), but it's hard to tell exactly what it is. Despite my previous post, it might look like a torpedo at first glance, but the "aftsection" don't add up (from the aerial photo alone, I would have guessed submarine-pericope - we have a few of those on display, but the end doesn't look anything like the "round object" in the initial photo.

It's been a while since my last visit to this base, but I will make some inqueries among my collegues when I'm back at work. It should not be difficult to get an answer.

Attachments

• Madla_objekt.jpg
    Madla_objekt.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 66
  • neger_1.jpg
    neger_1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 62
  • neger_2.jpg
    neger_2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 58
From the position of the towing link at the nose I would guess at a paravane type object,from the wear pattern in the towing link it has been well used,could this be similar to the Royal Navy T,A,R,T,(Towed Asdic Repeater Target),the TART had a noise maker in the nose section,(tiny glass beads dropping at a predermined rate onto a paxalin plate,similar to an hour glass)when all the beads had gone through it automatically rotated and started again,the TARTs were mainly fibreglass construction and painted red,
Don,

From the position of the towing link at the nose I would guess at a paravane type object,from the wear pattern in the towing link it has been well used,could this be similar to the Royal Navy T,A,R,T,(Towed Asdic Repeater Target),the TART had a noise maker in the nose section,(tiny glass beads dropping at a predermined rate onto a paxalin plate,similar to an hour glass)when all the beads had gone through it automatically rotated and started again,the TARTs were mainly fibreglass construction and painted red,
Don,

Very interesting. Just been looking up on Google.

part of an anti submarine sonar unit - spread out 2 or 3 on a long crane from both sides of the mine sweeper

From the position of the towing link at the nose I would guess at a paravane type object,from the wear pattern in the towing link it has been well used,could this be similar to the Royal Navy T,A,R,T,(Towed Asdic Repeater Target),the TART had a noise maker in the nose section,(tiny glass beads dropping at a predermined rate onto a paxalin plate,similar to an hour glass)when all the beads had gone through it automatically rotated and started again,the TARTs were mainly fibreglass construction and painted red
A valid/relevant suggestion. Problem is though, that this item doesn't look like any RNoN equipment (we don't display foreign material on our bases).

part of an anti submarine sonar unit - spread out 2 or 3 on a long crane from both sides of the mine sweeper
Minesweepers don't have that kind of equpiment, and again: It doesn't look like any RNoN material (wether it's related to minesweeping or submarinehunting).

As mentioned above, there is a slight possibility that it's of german post-war origin (60's-90's) due to the NORDEP relation, but it's kind of odd to see it in this location. Anyway: I will have the answer in due time, as soon as I get hold of the right person.

A valid/relevant suggestion. Problem is though, that this item doesn't look like any RNoN equipment (we don't display foreign material on our bases).

Minesweepers don't have that kind of equpiment, and again: It doesn't look like any RNoN material (wether it's related to minesweeping or submarinehunting).

As mentioned above, there is a slight possibility that it's of german post-war origin (60's-90's) due to the NORDEP relation, but it's kind of odd to see it in this location. Anyway: I will have the answer in due time, as soon as I get hold of the right person.

From your postings it would appear you are very knowledgeable about underwater weapons etc......I also look forward to finding out exactly what this item is, and possibly see some better photos.

however I do have to say your above post does appear a little contradictory if I might say so.... 'we dont display any foreign material on our bases', followed by , 'there is a slight possiblity that it's of german origin'????? To be fair on other members comments, this first statement would surely rule out this possibility would it not?

regards Kev